Empty Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
This is in the right forum so just throwing this out there if anyone has an opinion...

When I hear that people take a keg of their own HB to a function/party.. "and the keg was empty by the end of the night" it makes me think, maybe it was as good as bud light?...

I'm not taking a dig at anyone and Im sure that at a meeting of brewers and beer aficionados that the beers brewed by the members of this forum would be greatly appreciated but just throwing that out there, average beer drinkers generally like non offensive beers.

Anone have any stories about how they converted a group of bmc drinkers to beer drinkers feel free to tell your tales :p

I think everyone prefers his or her beer not to be offensive.;) Uninitiated beer drinkers, that is, people who drink but don't know about interesting beer, are exceedingly few and far between in my peer group. Lite lager holdouts tend to be old and/or uninteresting people in my experience, not people who would get invited to a party with awesome homebrew!

I wish I had some more friend like that! Unfortunately New Zealand is a third world county and good beer is yet to arrive. The normal swill round here is also pretty offensive!

If I take beer to an event I want it to be enjoyed by the people there. That's the whole reason that I made it to begin with. So I tend to take beers that the "average" beer drinker will enjoy.

It would seem pretty silly to take a keg of a Russian imperial stout to a gathering of bud light drinkers. They would probably take a sip or two and politely tell you that it is too dark/bitter/strong/etc. and then pop open a can of Miller Lite.

At the end of the night you end up loading three quarters of a keg of your "good beer" back in the truck and you haven't accomplished much towards introducing your friends to home brewing or new styles of beer.

This past weekend I made ten gallons of "cream of three crops" to take camping on labor day weekend. Then I made five gallons of American pale ale to take to a brew club gathering. Different crowd = different beer.

I have found that if the beer is free, most everyone who drinks BMC style beer will try and in most cases enjoy home brew. Now if you're talking Heavy homebrew, that may be a different critter.

Most of my friends really like the beer I brew. Now I can't really say it's because the beer is sooooo gooood, it may just be that it is free. :cross:

Salute! :mug:

I agree with whats been said. You cater the beer you're taking to the crowd it's going to. For new years last year I had a blonde and an English Mild on Tap, My group of friends kicked the English mild very quickly! I'm brewing for my BIL's bachelor party in Septmeber and will be making the same Blonde from New Years. My FIL had commented on it as being my "best beer yet" when tasting it, stating "now that's beer". He is an exclusive Busch Lite drinker as is my BIL and most likely his friends. If I can make a beer with some flavor but not to obtrusive to their tastes, that is a success and good brewing.

I hear you, but in my case my "circle of (drinking) friends" have all been to or have lived in Germany so they know what "good" beer is supposed to taste like. :rockin: Whenever another person shows up they're informed there's HB available.

I have a BIL who drinks only PBR and a SIL who is strictly a Bud man and they won't touch my brews...wimps...;)

Sounds like most of us brew to the tastes of the drinkers then. Thats my theory too, the BMC style lager I made I thought was bland but its the most popular of the lot. People have tried and some like my "better" beers but if I had to make a kegs worth and expect it to go then I would have to make that lager again. IMO that BMC lager was the worst beer Ive desined but if people like it then I guess I might be wrong. Good to hear that most of you consider who will be drinking it though. Of course suiting your friends to your beers is the best way to go :D

I never take homebrew to 'vanilla' parties, just homebrew club meetings. Given the new interpretation of Oregon law, I won't be taking homebrew anywhere until the law is re-written.

Having a keg of Mild sucked down by a roomful that is 80% hopheads is quite a compliment in my book.

Living on a military post where almost everyone has been to Germany and/or England and know what real beer is, most of the people I give beer to love real beer and hate BMC. Some of them are homebrewers themselves.

Last year at the unit Xmas party, we finished off 20 gallons of my Holiday Ale. That was great. Some folks were upset we ran out and there were several bottles of hard liquor and mixers there as well. I end up giving about 1/3 to 1/2 off my beer to friends and fellow brewers. Even at 5 gallons a week I have problems keeping up sometimes.

(almost) any style of beer can be made very appealing to the masses. If the "keg is gone at the end of the night" it simply means that the general consensus was favorable. In other words, it's always a good thing, despite what type of beer.

And, btw, light lagers can be VERY tasty. My buddy brought over 10 gallons of what he called a "PBR Clone" but in fact was more flavorful and tasty. We killed it and I enjoyed every sip of that evil American Light Lager.

I had an Extra Stout with Cocoa and vanilla bean drained at a wedding. There was Bud Light and Oberon. It was in the back with the snacks and was all word of mouth. People just kept saying "I want some of that Stout." Surprised the hell out of me. Granted it was a family wedding, and my family will drink anything (half was obviously people not in my family). I always take kegs to family functions - from Stouts, Pale Ales, Kentucky Common, Imperial Black Ale (black IIPA), you name it. They love it. I've turned so many people on to different beer.

I also have trouble keeping up with demand. Lately I've had to turn down beer for events so I can get my damn keggerator stocked. It's only been full once, for 1 day - St. Patrick's Day. 25gal was drank that night, haha. I have 6 taps though.

Back