EMERGENCY - PLEASE HELP - Keg not dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Emergency: I have a "brew off" tomorrow. My beer has been fine, and now it's suddenly not pouring. I've seen other similar threads, but none of those solutions have worked for me.

Problem: I'm using a corny keg in my kegerator, both of which I've used before and haven't had problems. I've been keeping tabs on this beer, which has been carbonating for two weeks, and it's been pouring fine. Tonight, I went to take a sample, and nothing comes out.

Now, I know it's in the keg. I have another keg of beer on another beer line that's pouring fine. So I took that line/Disconnect and put it on this keg and now it's not working. So that means its a problem with the keg.

To describe it, I've been carbonating and tonight I hooked up the beer line out and only a few bubbles went into the line. Nothing is coming out of the keg.

I took of the disconnect and cleaned it. Still nothing. I swapped the beer line with one I know to beer working, still nothing (so the problem is the keg.). I blew out the beer line (dip tube) by turning the CO2 way up and putting it on the out. Still nothing. I took the top off the keg and it came pouring out (so it's overcarbonated). I took the out nob (not sure what it's called) and the dip tube out. They both looked clean, but I cleaned them anyway. I put them back in and hooked it back up, still nothing. I know there's pressure (that the CO2 is working)..I hear it going in, and if I purge, add more CO2, I know CO2 is going in because I can purge again.

So to recap = I know it's the keg. CO2 is going in. The dip tube is clear, the out valve is clear, the disconnect is clear, the beer line works fine on other kegs. I'm really not sure where the problem is.

Like I said, I need this fixed ASAP. Any quick help would be so very much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Chris

Could it be a problem with the beer line post? Perhaps the valve isn't releasing. If the other keg is pouring fine, you could always switch the posts out since you know the potentially bad post can hold pressure.

With your keg under pressure can you push down on the poppet (using a chopstick or screwdriver) and have beer spurt out? If it does then it is probably not a problem with you keg but a problem with your QD. If beer spurts out, make sure the QD is fully depressed on the post, pull up on the outer ring of the QD and push down hard, let got of the ring while continuing to press down hard. Good Luck!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES (all caps because I'm so thankful haha)

So, I did that, and nothing came out. I took it off (again) and now it's all gunked up. So there's too much trub at the bottom. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have two options. Cut the dip tube shorter, so as to not pick up the trub at the bottom (cut an inch or two off?) or siphon (very very very very) carefully into a different keg, leaving the trub behind.

What would you guys recommend I do, considering that it's the 11th hour right now?

Thanks again

Back