Elevated ferm temps vs short krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytizzle

Reaction score
I've brewed three batches so far (koelsch, english brown ale, vanilla porter), all were extract with specialty grain kits. I see people on here talk about vigorous fermentation and krausen that last in excess of a week. All three of mine so far have hit target OG (or close) and begun ferm very quickly with lots of activity within 12 hours. Within 24 hours I've had a nice krausen and lots of activity in the carboy.

At around the 36-48 hours mark, every one of my batches has slowed drastically and the krausen has fallen. I haven't kegged any one of the three yet so I can't say from taste if there's anything goofy going on. I used notty yeast for the first two and S-04 for the third. Post-active ferm temps run 68-70. During active ferm, the temps have reached 72-74 for a few hours.

Is this normal? I'm not worried about it, really. Just more curious. It seems odd that I'd get quick ferms on three separate batches right out of the gate. Any thoughts?

It all sounds normal. The majority of vigorous fermentation takes place in the first 2-4 days. The only thing I might change if I was you is fermentation temp. You might want to try to keep it cooler. Especially the first couple of days when it's fermenting vigorously..

It all sounds normal. The majority of vigorous fermentation takes place in the first 2-4 days. The only thing I might change if I was you is fermentation temp. You might want to try to keep it cooler. Especially the first couple of days when it's fermenting vigorously..

Thanks. I'm working on a solution for keeping the temps down that SWMBO will allow in the house/garage. She's mad as a hornet as it is with all the mess I make and "stuff" I have lying around. I won't be brewing again for two weeks so I'm sure I can come up with a working solution by then.

Do a search for "swamp cooler" on this site..

Yeah, I've looked into those. Pitched it to SWMBO and she swiftly dropped the veto stamp on that idea. Gonna have to find myself an old fridge or freezer on craigslist more than likely. Or just buy a new one with the home depot credit card and hide it in my workshop where she won't see it for at least a few months!

While she has some say about what goes on in the house,I like to make it understood that the garage is man territory. Having said that,My fermenter/storage stand is next to the comp hutch in what would be the study. Good thing she likes my ales & started brewing herself. Try to get her interested,as it's not just her house. A small fridge with one of those temp controllers would be ideal.

Back