Electrical advice and wiring help for fairly simple RIMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize profusely to all here who have much better knowledge of physics than i do, its all greek to me.

Well, if you read from the first wiring diagram on page 2 to the bottom of page 3 in this thread, you'll see the progression of what I originally wanted to what I'm going with now, and suggestions as to why I may want to change them. You'll also notice some of the other factors you'll need to consider.

and thought of also having a switch to power on my chugger pump

How does your pump get power; does it have a receptacle plug or a wire with leads on the end?

Also what gauge wire do people use? Would 20 gauge work?

Well, you size wire by how many amps your system uses. Thicker wire= higher amps. You said you're using a 1500W element on a 120V system. Using the formula P=IV (Power=Current*Voltage) and solving for I (P/V=I), we get 1500W/120V=12.5A. If you have separate plugs for your pump, then just put a little safety factor on the wire and you should be good (size for 15A?). Now use a wire sizing chart to see what size wire can handle your load. I found this one using google. Wire Sizing Chart Also note the following asterisk:
* The national electric code (NEC) specifies that the overcurrent protection device not exceed 30A for 10 AGW wire, 20A for 12 AGW wire and 15A for 14 AWG wire.

So there you go, the national electric code says to use no smaller than 14 AWG wire for 15A .
EDIT 1: The 2% voltage drop chart above the max amp chart says that for 15A in 14 gauge wire, you will lose 2% of your voltage at 3 feet. If 3 feet seems shorter than you believe you will be running your wire, than you will need even thicker wire than that.

Josh, thank you so much, this is helpful. I think my setup is going to be just about identical to yours. My final question, and i know its dumb, but can i connect a two duplex receptacle to the two different toggle switches, ie use a single Leviton 15-Amp Duplex Outlet and plug the pump in one and heating element in the other?

However you did that voltage drop calculation you did something wrong. I entered 14awg. 35' @ 120V single phase into my voltage drop app I use at work and got 2.9 %. 3%. I believe is the max vd allowed on a single branch circuit (combined loads max vd is 5%)

Well there you go. I must not have used that chart right. Well good, that makes me feel quite better about my setup now too.

I put together a little combination stack switch / duplex receptacle into a 4" square box with an industrial cover to control my two pumps off of one 120v circuit. My control panel is 30a 240v and I didn't want to screw around with wiring outlets and switches and extra breakers or fuses into it for my pumps. You could easily use the same sort of setup to control any two devices. Its very basic. Line power feeds into the stack swicth. neutral goes directly to the duplex receptacle. break the preforated tab between the two "line side" screws on the receptacle to separate them from each other. Then you wire two little jumpers to the two poles on the stack switch. Took maybe 5 mins and about $5 to put together. I used a cord from an old window a/c someone was throwing away to power it was extra nice as it was free and it had a gfci built into it & it was made of nice heavy gauge wires.

Quick update. Everything I've ordered has come in and I've finished wiring the control station. Drilling the aluminum with a battery powered drill is taking forever and then I still need to plumb and support all the piping. I can't wait to brew cause I've got a pumpkin ale and rye IPA ready to run through it.

How did you make out on this build? I am starting to get parts (with the help of Santa) to do the exact same setup. I'm looking to eventually go entirely electric, however tuition costs have me trapped at my parents still and without space for a dedicated setup. So RIMs in a box it is! Currently have SSR, PID, and RTD. Just need switches, lights, and wire.

Everything worked out pretty good actually. I'm still looking for a better way to secure my burners to the frame as well as finding a better way to support my hot liqueur tank so that the supports don't overheat while the burner is on. Other than that, everything actually worked well. I suggest a larger box for a control panel than the ammo tin as it was tough to fit everything into, but I did somehow make it work. If you need specific help, let us know!

JJ

Back