Electric HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It lives.

I'm testing it now with water at 15°c (59°f)
It's 3kw @ 240.
At least I can't set this on on fire.:D
I'm still a little nervous about grabbing hold of it.

electrichlt3fo0.jpg

The current BYO has an article on building one in a plastic bucket, a very special plastic bucket, with a float switch.

John Beere said:
Mine is very similar, only horizontal. It uses a 3,500 w 220v heating element. Due to some personal issues, I have not had the chance to use it exect in testing. I'm in hopes to give it a go in the next two weeks...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39422

Yes I remember drooling over that.

I'm not very well set up for tools at present and didn't want to spend £££ on machining and welding. So I went in the bottom where it is easier to use a collar and get a seal.

It's a compromise but for a total lay out of 30 minutes and probably $50 then it'll do for now.

I sooooo need to do this to my "keg" HLT, I am holding out thinking I might make my life easier and get a bigger "cooler" HLT so I am not refilling half-way through. If I did decide to do my keg, can I simply hook up the element to my Ranco ETC (110V element in my case and 110V Ranco), or do I need something in between like a switch or something. I am not good with electrical at all.

wortmonger said:
I sooooo need to do this to my "keg" HLT, I am holding out thinking I might make my life easier and get a bigger "cooler" HLT so I am not refilling half-way through. If I did decide to do my keg, can I simply hook up the element to my Ranco ETC (110V element in my case and 110V Ranco), or do I need something in between like a switch or something. I am not good with electrical at all.

Mine is directly connected to a love controller which is rated at 16A. The 3,500W heating element is around 15A (3,500W / 240V - 14.6A).

Your electric HLT looks cool. One question I have is, are you using it with a ground fault circuit interrupter outlet?
IMHO when you use an electric appliance with water in a situation where a live person can make contact with it, there is a real potential for electrical shock if the element fails.
If you plug it into a GFCI, your level of protection is significantly increased.

wortmonger said:
For the HLT I will use a stainless paint stirrer hooked to a small fan motor. For my MT I am going to use a icecream machine motor and make a mash paddle.

Thanks, please post picsif you get a chance.

Here you go korndog, this is where I got the inspiration for some of my future projects. Here is what I am thinking of for HLT.
photo008.jpg

Here is his MLT.
photo013.jpg

This guy has a wicked setup for everything. Check out his entire site and then email him like I am going to do until he gets on HBT.com :D. Kidding of course. Well, I am going to pester him until he gets on here, lol. I found this guys site about 5 years ago and have referenced to it endlessly. Hope you enjoy.

i am looking to do something to keep HLT equal through out the whole kettle at a temp

Here you go korndog, this is where I got the inspiration for some of my future projects . . . I found this guys site about 5 years ago and have referenced to it endlessly. Hope you enjoy.
Wish I had seen this before starting my MLT build. A couple of questions you may have gotten the answers to:

What is the speed and torque of the motors on the MLT and HLT?
Where did he get those propeller blades?

I built my herms recently and used an 5 gallon IGLOO with a 1500 watt element. It takes about 30 minutes to heat up to recirculation temperature. As for agitation, I piped down a piece of CPVC from the top of my HLT to about a half inch from the bottom of the tank. Then using an aerator for a 30 gallon fish tank, I bubble during my mash. It keeps the water circulating nicely and avoids the mess of a motor and paddles. Not sure it would work with a keggle, but they make them for 60 gallon tanks too.

Back