Electric, Extract, Full Volume Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbycheetah

Reaction score
I was thinking.... instead of replacing my propane burner (Anvil Forge) as a heat source, is there an electric device that I can use instead? If 240v, then i can use the outlet for my dryer in the basement. I've done a few all grain brews, but really, I'm not looking for awards here, just good quality brews. Doing all extract (including some grains for color/flavor, etc of course) just makes the brew day easier and quicker. For 5 gal batches (6.5 - 7 gal pre-boil volume). I'm not interested in immersion heaters, but more of something like a stand-alone stove top? Not a big deal, if I have to stick to a propane burner, so be it. Just wanted to see what's out there. Thx!

what about an induction stand alone 'burner'? I looked into one of these, but I do 10 gallon batches and I was not confident that the burner would stand up to the weight. I know a guy who has an induction stove and uses it for 5 gallon BIAB, so it must be a decent method.

Caveat: Your kettle has to be able to conduct the magnetic induction. Mine has enough of a steel plate in the base to work, but stainless isn't always conductive of magnetism. Aluminum won't work at all.

I'm not an expert, just a guy on a homebrewing forum! Cheers

I'm and extract brewer. I do a partial boil in a 4 gallon kettle on the stove - about 2.5 gallons of wort at end of boil. I use about 1/3 of the extract during the boil and add the rest at flameout. I chill it and add top-off water. It's pretty simple, and not much equipment involved.

I switched my all grain setup from propane in the garage to electric in the basement and it is an amazing improvement, no more hauling it all out to the garage and back to the basement again.
I recommend it and would 100% do it again. However, there's been a lot of upgrades for me to get there.
You have an outlet already, so it seems like you won't need to wire one. Make sure that there is a GFCI on the circuit since you're using electricity and liquids in close contact.
I drilled a hole in my kettle and put a weldless triclamp bulkhead and a 5500 watt element in. For the element controller, I got the kit from still dragon.
I didn't want to mess with cutting holes in the house wall to vent steam outside, so I got a condenser. All that hardware I got from Brewhardware.
To chill I built a parallell stacked counter flow chiller so that I can take the ends off and clean it easily, and then a pump to run the wort through it. My immersion chiller wouldn't work well with the element in the way.
Brew day is super relaxed now.

Back