Electric Burner Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
Looking for a good solution for an electric burner. Here's the thing, I have to brew inside, I don't have the space for it outside so that eliminates any and all propane solutions. The stove top coil I'm currently using for a 14inch diameter boiling kettle is 7.25inches in diameter. It does take a while to come to a boil but the wait time isn't really that bad.

Some of these electric burners online look promising but my fear is the pot is going to be way to big and will cover the controls making it dangerous for when I need to cut it off. Not to mention the lack of power.

So I've found this as a possibility and was hoping for some feedback. It's 12 inches wide and about 20 inches long with controls in the front. Each coil is 6 inches in diameter and my thought is to run both coils together to each the 14 inch surface. Does this look and sound plausible for an indoor solution?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...top-in-Black-with-2-Elements-CR2110/203753714

**OHHH, I should probably mention, the reason I'm having to steer away from the burner upstairs is my fiance' is getting tired of me taking up so much time one day per month in the kitchen.

Take a look at induction burners too. Also if you don't want to mildew/mold up your whole place, look at exhaust fans and venting.

A 3500 watt burner is about equal to 12,000 BTU....5500 is about 19,000

Anything less then 3500 would take forever IMHO

A 3500 watt burner is about equal to 12,000 BTU....5500 is about 19,000

Anything less then 3500 would take forever IMHO

Oh you're on point, totally. The 7.25in coil I currently use on the stove upstairs takes about 30-40 minutes to get a full kettle of wert to boil. But the beer comes out good so I don't question it too much. But an upgrade is without doubt useful

I'm gonna pull the tard card and say I need a youtube vid to see how this thing works. I can read a bunch of paragraphs on descriptions of how an item works and it won't do any good. My reading comprehension is really bad. Visual learner. Will look up some vids shortly.

Thanks for mentioning.

Found a vid: My only issue with that setup would be the outlets I have to use would not support appliance plugs. Like you would traditionally use with a washer and dryer, the outlets are standard where we're building the work bench in the basement.

If you want to go electric using standard 120v outlets you will want to use 2 elements to give you 3-4000 watts of power.

You will need 2 circuits w gfi. It can be done w 1, 2000w element on a 20 amp circuit, but that will be very slow with a weaker boil.

Perhaps smaller 3 gallon batches?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g69fZm7g4Y[/ame]

The boil is def a little weak but the 7.25 coil I use seems to get the job done. Beer still comes out just fine. All of my equipment is setup for 5 gal batches anyway.

Based on what StillRaining said on page 1, this looks like my best bet.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...ooker-208-240v-3500w/177IC3500 208*240.html

It's 10.25" in diameter and while the pot will be larger, the controls shouldn't be too dangerous to reach. The utility sink I use to place the pot in directly after is located directly behind where the work bench is being installed to handle the pot.

I would consider doing smaller batches but then I'm also purchasing more equipment and wasting some of the equipment I already have. Until we have a larger home and a non existant HOA fee which prohibits the use of propane, a Darkstar setup is simply out of the question.

The heatstick could work but only if there was a way to hook it up to a standard outlet.

Actually: I found this review at the bottom of the page for this product. The guy uses it for brewing.

"I purchased this range to serve as the main heat source for a basement food processing/brewing/canning etc space that I constructed in my basement. While it will require purchasing some new cookware, I am very impressed thus far, the heat control is instantaneous, the output impressive (brought a 5 gallon volume of wort from ~140 degrees to boiling in 15 minutes and maintained a vigorous boil easily) and the unit is very sturdy in its construction and could probably handle stockpots in excess of 10 gallon. I just hope it lasts--but for the price?"

EDIT: This one may have to do instead. The other one's plug doesn't match anything I have in the basement. Now my only concern is if this thing can do the weight.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...ogleShopping&gclid=CIHkyd2sjsoCFUwYHwodV3AL1A

I updated the link at the bottom. There's one that's 1800 watt and uses what appears to be a standard 120v plug in. Probably won't cook as fast as ideal but my guess would be a little faster than I'm use to.

But again, not sure if the weight would be too much. Just weighed the kettle with the usual amount of liquid in there and it was about 45 lbs

Back