Electric Burner Imprint on New Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBow

Reaction score
I have brewed my first 2 batches of all grain with my new 10-gallon stainless steel polar ware kettle. The beer is turning out great, but I am brewing on an electric stove (I live in an apartment and this is the most feasible right now), and I now have an imprint of the electric burner on the inside bottom of my kettle (the outside on the bottom where the burner actually rests is fine).

There is a lot of discoloration and the bottom of the kettle actually feels a little uneven, like the metal is raised to a small degree where the electric coil was. So this leads me to believe the makeup or condition of the metal has been altered, ie it is not residue that has burned to the bottom of the kettle.

My question is, is this ok, or should I stop brewing on the electric stove? Should I just clean with BKF (Palmer: "if the protective oxide layer is compromised, stainless steel can be repassivated by thoroughly cleaning to remove the contamination.")? I have already cleaned with a bit of water and non-bleach oxyclean, but there was no visible effect.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

:mug:

Ended up buying some Bar Keepers Friend and all of the marks came off in less than a minute - that stuff is magic.

Back