Electric build in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellwood

Reaction score
Hi all, Im relatively new to brewing since my neighbor, who has brewed for years, got me interested on it about a year ago. We have been doing AG with a couple of extracts here and there and it's been on his 3 tier propane rig which is mostly manual operation minus a plate chiller & march pump. I have a background in Electrical and currently I&C, so you can imagine that after being the brewing assistant a few times I was quickly looking for ways to modify it. Well after I began reading articles, watching videos on homebrewing and visiting the LHBS I decided that it was time to jump in and make something. While brewing outside one freezing Detroit winter night I thought about doing it inside and not freezing our arses off; and that's when it hit me. Build an indoor electric brewery. After debating to do it in the basement or the garage I realized the garage was the best since it was already plumbed with a sink and I wasn't about to move my kegerator down the stairs. Ive taken quite a few pictures since the beginning and Ill do my best to post them along the way, as of now Im about 2/3 the way finished. After moving cabinets and fridges around a bit here is the space. Wish me luck and Cheers!

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

With the help from the Electric Brewery I was able to design and make a control box. I had some primer and bright red paint left over from something and it sure does stand out!

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

While I waited for the control components to arrive I had some cedar left over from a fence project last year and put this thing together in about an hour, hit it with a water seal and then with 2 poly-acrylic coats. Attached it to the wall studs for insurance.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

Apologies, I did slip and fall a few times ..conveniently under the kegerator. I made some significant advancements towards the goal line and will post pics coming soon.

So after packing up, moving and unpacking , which took waayy to long, finally got set up in my new garage. There's no plumbing in this one due to it being detached but it does have heat and cable tv . It didn't have adequate power so I ran a new 60A service out there from the house, about 40ft away giving me ample power for brewing and whatever else I might need. Here's a close up of the control panel. I've since replaced the HLT control with an Auber one after it never powered up ( it was used ) . I also mounted it to a stick of 1" rigid conduit offsetted to allow me to swing it out if the way .

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg

I felt it was easier to unplug that way rather than the recessed version , that way I don't have to turn upside down to see the bottom of the panel just to line up the plugs. Plus it was extremely cheaper this way

Back