Electric Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loveall-Brew

Reaction score
I am looking to begin brewing indoors and need some advice. I am only looking to do partial boils (2.5 gallons) indoors, as I do full outside. I am wondering if a regular 1800 watt portable burner would be sufficient? Or do I need a 1800 watt induction burner?

I am looking for a cheaper burner and suggestions. I don't want to buy one that is more expensive and an overkill for what I plan.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am trying to keep the whole process in my brew room I am working on in my basement. I am wondering if just a portable electric stove top would do the trick.

It would probably be fine for 2.5 gallons.
They are less efficient than an induction burner but about 500% cheaper.

I would upgrade the local receptacle to 20A; running it on high will pull a full 15A from a 15A receptacle.
If it is pretty old you may have the right conditions for an electrical fire. They are under $3 and take at most 5 minutes to install.

I would upgrade the local receptacle to 20A; running it on high will pull a full 15A from a 15A receptacle.
If it is pretty old you may have the right conditions for an electrical fire. They are under $3 and take at most 5 minutes to install.

The above is not good advice, it's against code to put a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. That would enable you to plug a 20 amp device into a 15 amp circuit, and draw 20 amps, ...and end up blowing the circuit breaker (if you're lucky).

If you need a 20 amp receptacle, you need a 20 amp breaker and 12 guage wire leading to the receptacle.

I do have a pot that a magnet will stick to. Do you think 1800 watt would be sufficient for a partial boil, or would I need the 3100 watt?

1800 watts can do a full 5 gallon batch if you have hours to blow, waiting for it to get to a boil. It won't have any problem with a 2.5G batch.

I've recently switched to induction and primarily use my 3500w 240v cooktop. But I picked up an 1800 120v for about $30 and it's a great supplement. I might try doing small experimental batches on it when I'm brewing big batches...thanks for the inspiration! I love induction and it's cheap enough for a small unit.

Quick Amazon search yields several units in the $40-50 range and they come up on lightning deals and Woot all the time for cheaper

The above is not good advice, it's against code to put a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. That would enable you to plug a 20 amp device into a 15 amp circuit, and draw 20 amps, ...and end up blowing the circuit breaker (if you're lucky).

If you need a 20 amp receptacle, you need a 20 amp breaker and 12 guage wire leading to the receptacle.
very true but the wiring in my house is the other way around, 12 awg, 20 amp breakers and 15amp receptacles.. so it might be wise to at least check what you have already...

Back