elderflower wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I routinely make a few gallons of elderflower wine (from dried elderflowers - about 2 oz per gallon). This time I used clover honey as the fermentable and sadly the elderflower flavor is far more subdued. I am thinking about adding some acid blend to kick the flavor up a notch but is there anything else you might recommend I do to help bring out the flavor. (The wine is about 12% ABV made with about 2.5 lbs of honey in each gallon). Should I make an elderflower tea (perhaps add a pint more of water that has had 2 additional ounces of dried flowers brewed and steeped in it for a few hours? Thoughts?

You could try steeping them in vodka to make an extract or google/youtube/ect. making rose water and try that method with elderflowers.

Thanks BBBF... Not sure I want to add vodka to this wine.. a simple tea -steeping the dried flowers in boiling water and adding a pint or so of that to the 3 gallons won't reduce the ABV significantly (It will reduce the 12% ABV by 4 percent or about 1/2 of 1 % ABV )

Back