Efficiency down, mouthfeel is weak, where's all the hops I bought?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinythebadass

Reaction score
Brewed my biggest batch of beer ever, my own recipe, using over 6 OZ. of hops for a 5 gallon batch with 1.72 OZ. being used for the dry hop stage for 11 days. I used Summit for the initial bittering and Willamette for the rest of the additions (15, 5, 0). I utilized the later additions to get a stronger hop flavor in the beer sort of like a Pliny the Elder, but I'm getting nothing but the strong bitterness from the Summit. Do i need to use a higher AA% hop if this is what I'm looking for for those later additions (not Summit obviously, 17%...). I'm also not getting a strong hop aroma off the nose from the dry hopping, seriously what happened here??

My efficiency has been down two for what ever reason? Any basic tips for that? I know I'm the 10,000,000th guy to ask but I'm trying to compartmentalize my info on these threads.

Also, the mouth-feel of the brew is rather week and watery? There's no the abundance of hop flavors I was looking for, no alcohol warmth, no subtle citrus notes from the Willamette??? WHERE DID I GO WRONG!?!?!?!

Some vitals...
Into Fermentor:
Pre-Boil OG (70 degrees): 1.101
Post-Boil OG (78 degrees): 1.059
Initial Alc. (static) %: 7.9

Into Bottle:
Final. %: 1.1%
Final ABV: 6.8%
Final G (80 degrees): 1.012

Did you switch your pre and post boil numbers? They make zero sense to me. Gravity increases over the boil. Otherwise not much info to go off.

Did you switch your pre and post boil numbers? They make zero sense to me. Gravity increases over the boil. Otherwise not much info to go off.

Those numbers are spot on? I boiled for 90 minutes and lost about a gallon and a half which was intended? Lol did I screw something else up haha

I'm laughing right now because what you totally said makes sense. Boiling off water, concentrating the sugars...

Those numbers are spot on? I boiled for 90 minutes and lost about a gallon and a half which was intended? Lol did I screw something else up haha

If you boiled down 1.5 gallons how did your gravity become dilute?
Even if you mixed them up i see it hard to boil down from .59 to 1.10 in 90 minutes...
did you just measure the first runnings out of your fermenter and not full batch strength?

Those numbers are VERY off.
Post your recipe and im sure someone will be able to tell you what you expected gravity should be.

You used Willamette for the finishing hops.
Willamette is a derivative of Fuggles, and does not give a citrus aroma. Used in moderation, it gives an earthy aroma (whatever that means). If you want citrus notes, you should use American C hops such as cascade, or centenial. (They are the only two I have ever used, but there are others).

-a.

Back