Effects of 90+ deg Temps on Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR_Brewer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post and I'm looking for some advice.

I brewed a Belgian dubbel using Wyest 1214 about 6 weeks ago. I chose this yeast specifically due to its tolerance of temps up to 78 deg F. I left for vacation 2 weeks ago and set the thermostat on 78 deg while I was away, however I came home to a broken A/C and a 95 degree house. Not sure how long the fermenter was up at that temperature, but the beer was in the 90's.

I've returned the house and beer to a normal temperature, however looking for advice as to my next step. I understand there's a good chance the the beer will have some off-flavors or even be ruined. However, are there any steps to mitigate those chances?

I understand the yeast may have died out, not an issue with fermenting since it had been in the carboy for 4+ weeks at the time, but should I add yeast prior to bottling to support carbonation? Any ideas? Thanks!

Unfortunately what's done is done since you have no idea how long things were out of whack. You can take a gravity sample to ensure fermentation is complete and drink the sample to see how the flavors are with the understanding it's green beer. At 6 weeks the yeast has already had a chance to try and clean up off flavors so whatever you taste will probably be what you get.

As for the need of additional yeast to bottle, not necessary, it will carbonate fine.

"....not an issue with fermenting since it had been in the carboy for 4+ weeks at the time..." JR Brewer

Gotta ask, why didn't you package it before you left on vacaton?

And hope it turns out ok.

It definitely won't be ruined and your off flavors should be minimal if any. With at least 4 weeks at good temps, it wouldn't be any different than if you had bottled and the bottles got that warm.

So sitting on the primary yeast cake in the primary fermenter won't do it any harm....as opposed to if it had been in bottles or keg in that heat?

And again, sure hope it turns out ok. Just asking questions to get input from more exp brewers.

hepcat said:
So sitting on the primary yeast cake in the primary fermenter won't do it any harm....as opposed to if it had been in bottles or keg...

I'm curious why you didn't bottle before you left... or Ben the week before you left. Either way, if it was under 78F for the first week, you'll be alright. The impact of autolysis aren't substantial in that short amount of time... more like if the beer sat on dead yeast for 4-5+ months, and even then...

Gotta ask, why didn't you package it before you left on vacaton?

I'm curious why you didn't bottle before you left... or Ben the week before you left. Either way, if it was under 78F for the first week, you'll be alright. The impact of autolysis aren't substantial in that short amount of time... more like if the beer sat on dead yeast for 4-5+ months, and even then...

And to answer the question why I didn't bottle before I left... I've been keeping most of my beers in the fermenter 6-8 weeks with good results. Gives the yeast plenty of time to clean up after itself. However, after this experience, I'll be reluctant to leave a carboy unattended so long.

Thanks again for those answers, I sampled the beer during transfer, it tasted great. Looks like it will be ok!

Latest posts

Back