Edgestar single tap kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffy

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with this model kegerator?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EdgeSta...spenser-in-Stainless-Steel-KC1000SS/308789141
The only bad review said it only got his beer down to 37F. That's more than fine for what I need. Anything under 40F is gravy.

I'm going to use it double duty for ferm temp control and then as it was intended. Interior dimensions fit my buckets with airlock. HD currently has a 10% off coupon that applies as well. Ships free too.

Last edited:
I’ve been using 2.5 and 3 gal cornies with picnic taps in my full size beer fridge for a few years now. Works fine but opening the fridge and getting in there to pour and add CO2 is getting old. I have an Edgestar glass door beverage fridge that has worked well for about 4 yrs. I’m thinking this single tapper should free up some space in the big fridge. At least until I break down and get that 5 gal corny. Kinda weird nobody else has one but wtf. I was about to pick up a mini fridge or chest freezer and start prepping it for surgery and it was going to cost about the same but have 2 taps. I will give it a go and maybe report back once it arrives.

I have this exact model and just converted it to be a fermentation chamber.

As a kegerator it works well. Obviously space is limited inside, and it does indeed only get the liquid temp down to about 38°F.

Converting for an external temperature controller was a little tricky but doable. It has a digital thermostat. I’ve shared how I did this over in this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/kegerator-thermostat-bypass.680600/post-9123129

I have that same model and replaced the single tap tower with a double. Space inside is a little tight but it will fit two Corny kegs if you keep the CO2 outside the fridge. Has worked great so far for me.

I have that same model and replaced the single tap tower with a double. Space inside is a little tight but it will fit two Corny kegs if you keep the CO2 outside the fridge. Has worked great so far for me.
Did you cut the sankey hoses and add ball lock fittings or did you use an adapter kit? I bought the Cocktails on Draft 2.0 adapter kit but it seems weird that there are no gaskets or o-rings in the fittings. There are some in the package of extras that came with the kegerator. Can you just screw this stuff together sans rubber or silicone gaskets? No instructions.

BTW... rolled the dice and bought a used 5-gal corny keg from AiH to use with this thing. Won't be doing that again. This thing has had a hard life. Dents. Warped bottom. Looks like it was dropped out of a helicopter onto the tarmac multiple times. Rubbers leave black on everything they contact. Had to use an air ratchet to get the fittings off. Gas dip tube stub is plastic. Like part of a straw from Dairy Queen with one end melted and mashed. It holds pressure tho, by golly.

Last edited:
Did you drill it for the CO2 hose? If so, where?

BTW... rolled the dice and bought a used 5-gal corny keg from AiH to use with this thing. Won't be doing that again. This thing has had a hard life. Dents. Warped bottom. Looks like it was dropped out of a helicopter onto the tarmac multiple times. Rubbers leave black on everything they contact. Had to used an air ratchet to get the fittings off. Gas dip tube stub is plastic. Like part of a straw from Dairy Queen with one end melted and mashed. It holds pressure tho, by golly.

Did you buy a used one or a loose bottom/top one?

I got a couple loose bottom/top kegs from there that sound like the condition you’re describing but I only paid $25 each for them vs. $45.

They are decent. My first lasted me 10 years. When the compressor died I was able to buy just a new fridge for $300 and swap the tower. You will want to install a tower cooler, upgrade the regulator, and upgrade the faucet to a Perlick. With a set screw adjustment i can get the temp below freezing if I wanted. Mine came pre drilled with an external tank bracket. Fits 2 corny kegs easily plus room for a few growlers or a 12 pack of bottles. If starting from scratch, I would recommend buying just the fridge, buy a used tank, hoses, faucet and tower separately. You will get a much better setup for about the same money.

Last edited:
BTW... rolled the dice and bought a used 5-gal corny keg from AiH to use with this thing. Won't be doing that again. This thing has had a hard life. Dents. Warped bottom. Looks like it was dropped out of a helicopter onto the tarmac multiple times. Rubbers leave black on everything they contact. Had to used an air ratchet to get the fittings off. Gas dip tube stub is plastic. Like part of a straw from Dairy Queen with one end melted and mashed. It holds pressure tho, by golly.
You will want at least 2 cornys plus spare gaskets. I keep two on tap and just swap the connectors and chug a hybrid when I want to switch.

Last edited:
They are decent. My first lasted me 10 years. When the compressor died I was able to buy just a new fridge for $300 and swap the tower. You will want to install a tower cooler, upgrade the regulator, and upgrade the faucet to a Perlick. With a set screw adjustment i can get the temp below freezing if I wanted. Mine came pre drilled with an external tank bracket. Fits 2 corny kegs easily plus room for a few growlers or a 12 pack of bottles. If starting from scratch, I would recommend buying just the fridge, buy a used tank, hoses, faucet and tower separately. You will get a much better setup for about the same money.
Can I ask what is wrong with the CO2 regulator that comes with the Edgestar?
I am looking at a scratch and dent one somewhat locally for $125
One of the reasons I am leaning towards it rather just ordering the fridge you mentioned form HD is the fact it comes with a CO2 tank and regulator.
Many one gauge regulators have a space for the other gauge, if that is the problem.

I could have the HD fridge delivered and I will have to spend most of the day in the car to get the Edgestar.
Would like to know all its problems ahead of time.
Thanks

The regulator it comes with is serviceable but cheap. I prefer one where I can adjust pressure w a knob rather than a screwdriver , and I belive the max pressure was only 30 psi. I force carbonate higher than that. Also, no tank guage. Either way, you will need a tower cooler, and the faucet it comes with is garbage. Get a Perlick flow control. You won't regret it.

I got a cheap digital thermometer off Amazon that I keep in there. Also you will need a corny adapter kit, either ball or pin lock, depending on which kind you have. I bought a kit with flare nuts and a low-profile D coupler so I can easily convert back to commercial kegs if I ever want / need to. I keep some spare couplers too bc they are cheap and do fail occasionally. They are usually sealed and cannot be rebuilt.

Since you are starting out, don't screw around with used kegs. I recommend looking at the Torpedo Kegs. Several sizes available. Very well made all stainless steel. Cost a little more but no rudder scuff marks or dented up kegs. Check the out.

Back