Edgestar single tap kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with this model kegerator?

The only bad review said it only got his beer down to 37F. That's more than fine for what I need. Anything under 40F is gravy.

I'm going to use it double duty for ferm temp control and then as it was intended. Interior dimensions fit my buckets with airlock. HD currently has a 10% off coupon that applies as well. Ships free too.

Last edited:

Jim R

Reaction score
I have no idea if that is a good kegerator but I found that I get better beer pours with my cheaper mini refrigerator (no freezer) and this pluto beer gun than I was getting with my kegerator. It was also cheaper and it holds my fermenter for temperature control. I just have to open the door to get a beer (life is tough).

OP
Snuffy

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
I’ve been using 2.5 and 3 gal cornies with picnic taps in my full size beer fridge for a few years now. Works fine but opening the fridge and getting in there to pour and add CO2 is getting old. I have an Edgestar glass door beverage fridge that has worked well for about 4 yrs. I’m thinking this single tapper should free up some space in the big fridge. At least until I break down and get that 5 gal corny. Kinda weird nobody else has one but wtf. I was about to pick up a mini fridge or chest freezer and start prepping it for surgery and it was going to cost about the same but have 2 taps. I will give it a go and maybe report back once it arrives.

codysorgenfrey

Reaction score
I have this exact model and just converted it to be a fermentation chamber.

As a kegerator it works well. Obviously space is limited inside, and it does indeed only get the liquid temp down to about 38°F.

Converting for an external temperature controller was a little tricky but doable. It has a digital thermostat. I’ve shared how I did this over in this thread.

Novacor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have that same model and replaced the single tap tower with a double. Space inside is a little tight but it will fit two Corny kegs if you keep the CO2 outside the fridge. Has worked great so far for me.

OP
Snuffy

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
I have that same model and replaced the single tap tower with a double. Space inside is a little tight but it will fit two Corny kegs if you keep the CO2 outside the fridge. Has worked great so far for me.
Did you cut the sankey hoses and add ball lock fittings or did you use an adapter kit? I bought the Cocktails on Draft 2.0 adapter kit but it seems weird that there are no gaskets or o-rings in the fittings. There are some in the package of extras that came with the kegerator. Can you just screw this stuff together sans rubber or silicone gaskets? No instructions.

OP
Snuffy

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
BTW... rolled the dice and bought a used 5-gal corny keg from AiH to use with this thing. Won't be doing that again. This thing has had a hard life. Dents. Warped bottom. Looks like it was dropped out of a helicopter onto the tarmac multiple times. Rubbers leave black on everything they contact. Had to use an air ratchet to get the fittings off. Gas dip tube stub is plastic. Like part of a straw from Dairy Queen with one end melted and mashed. It holds pressure tho, by golly.

Last edited:
OP
Snuffy

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
Did you drill it for the CO2 hose? If so, where?

codysorgenfrey

Reaction score
BTW... rolled the dice and bought a used 5-gal corny keg from AiH to use with this thing. Won't be doing that again. This thing has had a hard life. Dents. Warped bottom. Looks like it was dropped out of a helicopter onto the tarmac multiple times. Rubbers leave black on everything they contact. Had to used an air ratchet to get the fittings off. Gas dip tube stub is plastic. Like part of a straw from Dairy Queen with one end melted and mashed. It holds pressure tho, by golly.
Did you buy a used one or a loose bottom/top one?

I got a couple loose bottom/top kegs from there that sound like the condition you’re describing but I only paid $25 each for them vs. $45.

OP
Snuffy

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
Did you buy a used one or a loose bottom/top one?

I got a couple loose bottom/top kegs from there that sound like the condition you’re describing but I only paid $25 each for them vs. $45.
Nothing loose. Just abused for 45.

BrewinInPA

Reaction score
They are decent. My first lasted me 10 years. When the compressor died I was able to buy just a new fridge for $300 and swap the tower. You will want to install a tower cooler, upgrade the regulator, and upgrade the faucet to a Perlick. With a set screw adjustment i can get the temp below freezing if I wanted. Mine came pre drilled with an external tank bracket. Fits 2 corny kegs easily plus room for a few growlers or a 12 pack of bottles. If starting from scratch, I would recommend buying just the fridge, buy a used tank, hoses, faucet and tower separately. You will get a much better setup for about the same money.

Last edited:

BrewinInPA

Reaction score
BTW... rolled the dice and bought a used 5-gal corny keg from AiH to use with this thing. Won't be doing that again. This thing has had a hard life. Dents. Warped bottom. Looks like it was dropped out of a helicopter onto the tarmac multiple times. Rubbers leave black on everything they contact. Had to used an air ratchet to get the fittings off. Gas dip tube stub is plastic. Like part of a straw from Dairy Queen with one end melted and mashed. It holds pressure tho, by golly.
You will want at least 2 cornys plus spare gaskets. I keep two on tap and just swap the connectors and chug a hybrid when I want to switch.

Last edited: