Edelweiss Dunkel... Kind of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elisha8685

Reaction score
So I brewed this last weekend and had decided to do an Edelweiss Dunkel clone from "Clone Brews." I decided to go all out and to 10 gallons since I have the equipment to handle it. Come brew day I realized I ordered 5 lbs short of one of the grains I needed! Whoops, well damn, I'm brewing anyway. So my clone become my own thrown together recipe:

10lbs Castle Pale Ale Malt
5 lbs Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt
1 lb Weyermann Dark Munich Malt
1 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt
1 lb Briess Caramel Vienne
1/2 lb Muntons Wheat DME... I mean hell, why not?
1.2 oz Hallertau Hops (Germany)
200 billion (approx) Wyeast 3068 (yeast starter)

So a couple of other new things I tried with this new brew. I used what I read as the Brutus 2.0 Counter-Recirculating Re-sparge System. It went alright but my efficiency was a poor 63%. It got me thinking about the system that I used, I don't think it was the best method based on Rates of Diffusion. I may be wrong. Anyways, the actual brew went great! I had just stuck some temporary wiring on my friend and I's DIY build to make it usable with dual pumps. It made life so easy. I swamped bathed the 2 carboys for 3 days in my guest shower (happy wife about that one) and am about to transfer them to 2 Cornies to sit for another few weeks. Anyways, any thoughts on how the flavor might turn out? I really have no idea...

2012-07-14134545.jpg

I'll repost when I try them though! :mug:
2012-07-15120839.jpg

So here's the question, what should I add to one of the five gallon batches to make it different? I'm open tn anything!

Back