ECY on love2brew.com right now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more rare a release than Bug County - I only saw Bugfarm once last year.

I wasn't planning on trying for any ECY stuff this winter, but I wasn't able to restrain myself. I grabbed some ECY01 BugFarm.

I have a few batches made a year ago with ECY20 Bug County. I may have to bottle up one or two of those to make space for something with the Bug Farm.

The Dirty Dozen was already gone by the time I looked.

Craziness. I checked their site today at like 0745 and nothing was up. I still have two bug county's but looking for dirty dozen and bug farm

Anyone getting any ropiness with bug county blend? If so any idea about when it showed up. Considering doing some blending with a young ecy20 beer which hasn't gone through that stage yet
And wonder about bottling for a comp at this stage.

Anyone getting any ropiness with bug county blend? If so any idea about when it showed up. Considering doing some blending with a young ecy20 beer which hasn't gone through that stage yet
And wonder about bottling for a comp at this stage.

Nope never gotten ropiness.

Rosiness will pass. It's the pedio. Let it age some more

So weird. I was checking site all morning with nothing then all of sudden it appears at like 1000. Finally got some bug farm though.

It's funny how exciting it is to see new posts on this thread, even when I already got some BugFarm the last time it was available.

Of course, I was thinking of placing an order for a some other stuff. If there is still some BugFarm later tonight when I place my other order, I may have to add another vial to the order.

I popped my Bug Farm cherry this morning as well. Current residents of the cellar are Rosealare, ECY20, ECY02, WLP665, and TYB Melange all in separate batches with a healthy dose of various Oude Gueuze and other dregs in each.

Can't believe that there is still bug farm available.

Can't believe that there is still bug farm available.

There's a simple answer to that ponderance. With all of the small yeast labs popping up, many trying to focus on sour and funky offerings, ECY is no longer the only show in town when it comes to unique yeast. I can't speak for any of the other labs that have popped up in recent years (Omega, RVA, Bootleg), but for The Yeast Bay 2015 was our first full year selling yeast and we sold 16,000 vials and enough commercial culture to ferment over 2,500 bbl of wort. Almost half of the 16,000 homebrew vials were Brettanomyces blends or sour blends.

To put it simply, while the demand for unique yeast strains and blends is steadily growing, the market share is getting split many more ways than two years ago in which ECY essentially was the only player. My projection for 2016 based on growth over the last 6 months already sees The Yeast Bay selling close to twice as much as we did in 2015. I have no doubt all the other new yeast labs are seeing similar increases the demand for their products, many of whom are placing a focus on ensuring they can deliver a steady supply of product. The innovation and forward thinking of homebrewers and craft brewers with respect to fermenting their beers has carved out a niche in the past decade or so that was clearly way too big for ECY to fill alone. Where there's a demand, supply will eventually follow.

In addition, one thing I have found to hold true between homebrewers and craft brewers given my sales trends is that once a brewer finds a source of culture they have success with, if it is available on a steady basis, they will be a repeat customer. Over 90% of The Yeast Bay customer base for both homebrewers and craft brewers are repeat customers. I'm sure 2 years ago, many of those customers were the same folks sitting at their computers all day refreshing the L2B ECY page in hopes of getting something. From what I can tell from customers I talk to in addition to posts I see in forums and social media, people have grown tired of the constant waiting and are willing to support other companies if the quality and supply are consistent.

There's a simple answer to that ponderance. With all of the small yeast labs popping up, many trying to focus on sour and funky offerings, ECY is no longer the only show in town when it comes to unique yeast. I can't speak for any of the other labs that have popped up in recent years (Omega, RVA, Bootleg), but for The Yeast Bay 2015 was our first full year selling yeast and we sold 16,000 vials and enough commercial culture to ferment over 2,500 bbl of wort. Almost half of the 16,000 homebrew vials were Brettanomyces blends or sour blends.

To put it simply, while the demand for unique yeast strains and blends is steadily growing, the market share is getting split many more ways than two years ago in which ECY essentially was the only player. My projection for 2016 based on growth over the last 6 months already sees The Yeast Bay selling close to twice as much as we did in 2015. I have no doubt all the other new yeast labs are seeing similar increases the demand for their products, many of whom are placing a focus on ensuring they can deliver a steady supply of product. The innovation and forward thinking of homebrewers and craft brewers with respect to fermenting their beers has carved out a niche in the past decade or so that was clearly way too big for ECY to fill alone. Where there's a demand, supply will eventually follow.

In addition, one thing I have found to hold true between homebrewers and craft brewers given my sales trends is that once a brewer finds a source of culture they have success with, if it is available on a steady basis, they will be a repeat customer. Over 90% of The Yeast Bay customer base for both homebrewers and craft brewers are repeat customers. I'm sure 2 years ago, many of those customers were the same folks sitting at their computers all day refreshing the L2B ECY page in hopes of getting something. From what I can tell from customers I talk to in addition to posts I see in forums and social media, people have grown tired of the constant waiting and are willing to support other companies if the quality and supply are consistent.

Mélange FTW!

I think you hit the nail on the head. I've ordered and used both ECY and TYB and both have given me good results. But I tend to plan out my brew calendar about a year ahead and it's hard to plan around yeast blends when you have no idea when they'll be available. I have two vials of ECY in my fried from December I think that I'm only next week going to get to pitching. I just can't change my brew schedule on the fly. It's cool that Al has these unique cultures and that this is a part time gig for him. But as you said, others are coming out now that also produce unique blends and cultures and they're doing it full time and can be depended on.

Its great to have choices. Im hoping I see other ECY products stay up on the sight for some time so I can get to them. Ive used bug county, just bought some bug farm and seriously want some Flemish ale. There's certainly some novelty and excitement in "scoring" that rare yeast but as time changes and the market adapts then novelty becomes less important and well, less novel. Im still exploring and ECY is ground I still want to plant my flag in. But at some point: been there done that and the pain in the ass in sourcing product will creep in Im sure.

Heck I have Cantillon dregs, Pagau Brett wine (2007 vintage) and numerous other cultures going I haven't even touched yet and Im still buying mixed cultures!

Its also nice that ECY is of sufficient cell count and hardy. Pitching half the vial has given same attenuation , drop in pH and even better flavor than pitching a whole vial.

Cant comment on flavor results yet but I bet it'll be tasty.

ECY is great stuff but with it out of stock 99% of the time it gets old.... It's like chasing a Unicorn.

The best sours I have ever made had dregs from 2 bottles of The Bruery Oude Tart in them. Nice solid pop the sour flavor - amazing stuff!!!

ECY is great stuff but with it out of stock 99% of the time it gets old.... It's like chasing a Unicorn.

The best sours I have ever made had dregs from 2 bottles of The Bruery Oude Tart in them. Nice solid pop the sour flavor - amazing stuff!!!

I agree on it getting old and Im just starting to explore ecy! Once I get the Flanders blend I'll move on and just re-pitch what I have. Could be years from now -haha! Trying to dial in a couple different kinds of house blends. For me best sours have been a brown w jolly pumpkin bugs, lambic w cuvee renee. Straight up commecial cultures would be a pale sour w tyb melange.

My ECY Flanders is about 9 months old and tasting fantastic. I added Jolly Pumpkin and Embrace the Funk dregs and it's been sitting on tart cherry concentrate for about two months. It's pretty much ready to be bottled at this point and I can't wait to repitch the slurry.

I kind of agree that it's getting old, but the cultures are great, and they're excellent when repitched as well in my experience. Once you buy a couple cultures, you don't need to rush to get more. If you're a first time buyer though it's very frustrating.

I've personally had bad experiences with their clean strains, but the mixed/wild cultures have all been wonderful.

Dirty dozen, bug farm and single strain saison are up!

( nice to be the bell ringer and not stressing as my last order arrives today - no flemish ale so Im still waiting....)

Get some!

They released the flanders in late spring last year if my memory serves me right. I picked up a vial and did a killer kriek that I'm bottling this weekend.

They released the flanders in late spring last year if my memory serves me right. I picked up a vial and did a killer kriek that I'm bottling this weekend.

I'll keep looking for updates. Thank you for the information. Hopefully it will show up more than just once as Im not always available on Ths AM to check.

I'll keep looking for updates. Thank you for the information. Hopefully it will show up more than just once as Im not always available on Ths AM to check.

Sign up for their Twitter feed. I get a txt message with their updates. Inluding notification of new ecy stock.

Wrong thread

Me too, wrong thread.

image.jpg

still up, am i missing something ive never ever seen this stuff last this long. Did something change?

I think there are so many other good options now, between the yeast bay, omega, and others that ECY isn't the only game in town any more. Not speaking for anyone else, but I kind of have a bit of ECY fatigue, with waiting for it to show up and trying to beat everyone else to the checkout counter.

It's nice having so many more excellent options that are regularly in stock. Nothing against ECY, he makes a fantastic product. But I like to brew to my schedule, and I can pretty easily get the cultures I want whenever I want through other places.

I think there are so many other good options now, between the yeast bay, omega, and others that ECY isn't the only game in town any more. Not speaking for anyone else, but I kind of have a bit of ECY fatigue, with waiting for it to show up and trying to beat everyone else to the checkout counter.

It's nice having so many more excellent options that are regularly in stock. Nothing against ECY, he makes a fantastic product. But I like to brew to my schedule, and I can pretty easily get the cultures I want whenever I want through other places.

makes sense, however im not going to complain because i was finally able to get some. Want to try it at least once.

Back