ECY on love2brew.com right now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone gotten an update on their order being shipped, or received their yeast yet?

My order is still on their site showing status: "Processing" since the day I placed the order, 12/17. I did get confirmation of the order placed, nothing since. Mail yesterday did not include a box (with yeast), I looked everywhere.

My account was charged and I got a tracking number late Friday.

Ah, thanks! Agreed, shipping yeast during extreme weather/seasons is never ideal, but if one must, the faster and less exposed to prevailing ambient temps the better, and count on the buffering factor of the entire cargo.

L2B claims they have more problems with leaking when sent through USPS than UPS, so I was wondering why you're experiencing the exact opposite to be true. Perhaps they have a contract with UPS.

I'll post back when I receive my 4 bottles through USPS and how Bretted the box is. :D

FYI, I've been checking your yeast and bug offerings too.

It could also have more to do with the cheaper Nalgene rip off bottles used. I guarantee you with even a little pressure build up, those bottles will leak. Nalgene bottles are super high quality and waaaay more durable and leak-proof from my experience with them, both with yeast and in over 10 years of lab work in which I use Nalgene media bottles extensively. They also cost a significant amount more though. Not sure how much Al pays for the cheaper non-Nalgene bottles, but even in bulk, the 125 mL Nalgene bottles are over $2/bottle.

I've ordered ECY 2-3 times from L2B. Only had slightly leaky bottles once. It's really a must to get their 2 day air UPS shipping I think.
That being said, I've ordered TYB many times and never had any issues with shipping or leaky containers from them.

I've ordered ECY 2-3 times from L2B. Only had slightly leaky bottles once. It's really a must to get their 2 day air UPS shipping I think.
That being said, I've ordered TYB many times and never had any issues with shipping or leaky containers from them.

Why would 2-day UPS air be any different from 2-day priority via USPS? Except the latter is less than 1/3 of the price UPS demands.

Why would 2-day UPS air be any different from 2-day priority via USPS? Except the latter is less than 1/3 of the price UPS demands.

Because USPS doesn't offer any guarantee of 2nd day delivery. So your yeast is very likely to arrive late and go though less than ideal conditions on the way.

It could also have more to do with the cheaper Nalgene rip off bottles used. I guarantee you with even a little pressure build up, those bottles will leak. Nalgene bottles are super high quality and waaaay more durable and leak-proof from my experience with them, both with yeast and in over 10 years of lab work in which I use Nalgene media bottles extensively. They also cost a significant amount more though. Not sure how much Al pays for the cheaper non-Nalgene bottles, but even in bulk, the 125 mL Nalgene bottles are over $2/bottle.

I'm not sure if and how inferior Al's bottles are, they seem to be adequate and are certainly cute. The seal mostly depends on the rim's evenness and how it mates with the lid. The bottle that leaked during my previous shipment was simply not screwed down tightly enough.

Nalgene is premium priced, and that doesn't help the bottom line. Do you ship your yeasts in Nalgene vials?

I'm not sure if and how inferior Al's bottles are, they seem to be adequate and are certainly cute. The seal mostly depends on the rim's evenness and how it mates with the lid. The bottle that leaked during my previous shipment was simply not screwed down tightly enough.

Nalgene is premium priced, and that doesn't help the bottom line. Do you ship your yeasts in Nalgene vials?

The Yeast Bay vials are the same as White labs vials, and soon to be the new White Labs Pure Pitch packaging. The soda blanks they use are great. They are super economical, and are clearly meant to seal well even under pressure, given their intended content once extruded is carbonated beverage.

Because USPS doesn't offer any guarantee of 2nd day delivery. So your yeast is very likely to arrive late and go though less than ideal conditions on the way.

Correct, USPS does not guarantee 2nd day delivery, which is why I hate the fact they call it "Priority 2-day". I would disagree though that that means the yeast is subject to "less than ideal conditions on the way". It will take longer that UPS 2 day in most cases, but it is largely spending time on a plane or in a sorting facility, the former being a short trip and the latter being a climate controlled facility where the temperature is typically a comfortable room temperature. Yeast is more than stable at room temperature for a few days with no noticeable adverse effects on performance.

We've done a number of studies with our Brett and Sacch strains in which we kept vials from a single lot at 2-8 C, while others from the same lot were packed up as they would be for shipment, mailed out and returned which totaled 5-7 days in shipment (worst case scenario for shipment time). Ran side by side fermentations with cold vs. shipped vials with no significant difference in fermentation time or flavor profile.

The one ECY bottle that leaked for me was overfilled. I opened it and it was going everywhere and seemed to be under a little pressure. Must have had some activity going on in there, but had to have been filled to the rim.

I know UPS is supposed to be the "best" option.... But it's going to take 8 days to get to me now. Luckily it's saison and Brett yeast I ordered this time. Last time I did USPS it was to me in 3 days I believe. I know the holiday put some delay on it but I was thinking it would get here today.

I've also never had anything bad happen from a leaky vial. And I like the new vials they come in with the blue cap better.

I know UPS is supposed to be the "best" option.... But it's going to take 8 days to get to me now. Luckily it's saison and Brett yeast I ordered this time. Last time I did USPS it was to me in 3 days I believe. I know the holiday put some delay on it but I was thinking it would get here today.

I've also never had anything bad happen from a leaky vial. And I like the new vials they come in with the blue cap better.

Whatever is best for the yeast is best for you. I think @Biobrewer made valid points about the importance on how it travels, and I'm totally on board with that.

If you received shipping confirmation of your last order, and a tracking number, you should know where it is. That may not be the case for everyone...

... 4 days after placing my order I inquired with L2B. The order status on their website had remained "processing." I had received an order confirmation but never one for actual shipment. Upon my inquiry I received 2 emails from them explaining the situation, the first was personally addressed, followed by this one, which looks like it was sent to all those involved:

Hi,

We are contacting you to inform you that there was an error with our system on the receipt of the ECY Dirty Dozen. We are waiting on the remainder of our shipment to arrive this week to fulfill your order. Because we won’t be shipping on Christmas Eve and Christmas, it is most likely your order will not ship until early next week to avoid it sitting in a warehouse over the holiday. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I don't expect to receive anything until next week. I had selected USPS 2-day priority of course.

Thanks for posting! I was actually about to go pull up L2B but got onto another task, glad you got there first! Got my spring cultures!

Missed out, again, was going to do three batches, same wort different blends. I got my roselare, and Melange, but can't seem to time buying bug country....hmmm

You would think they would figure it out and mainstream some production. But then I suppose they couldn't charge $11.........

You would think they would figure it out and mainstream some production.
the man behind ECY, Al Buck, doesn't want to go mainstream. he has a day job he likes, ECY is a hobby. there is a lot of work and risk involved in launching large-scale commercial venture.

luckily there are many other options if ECY doesn't work for you.

You would think they would figure it out and mainstream some production. But then I suppose they couldn't charge $11.........

I'd gladly pay $11 for a blend of high quality. This breaks down to $.22 a beer for a five gallon batch and obviously less if you reuse the cake after the first back. The difference in price between using this versus an obviously inferior Wyeast Lambic Blend is less that a dime per bottle.

I'd gladly pay $11 for a blend of high quality. This breaks down to $.22 a beer for a five gallon batch and obviously less if you reuse the cake after the first back. The difference in price between using this versus an obviously inferior Wyeast Lambic Blend is less that a dime per bottle.

I would gladly pay it also, I'm just complaining about its availability. It would be nice to actually purchase some. This two hour window every third week is a little crazy...

I'm convinced that I am never going to get my hands on Bug County or Bug Farm. Just never works out.

Anyone have hop tolerance info on 2015/2016 ECY20 (or any year for that matter). Have searched but not found much. Seems like 10 ibus and low 3.x pH is possible. Im trying to avoid having to blend back to correct for too low a pH and just having a non sour brett mess. I already have too many pH 3.1 beers to work with. ;)

Its only $11 each if you buy enough for free shipping. Given how little they offer and how fast it goes i ended up paying ~$52 (UPS shipping, ice packs etc). for three vials just to make sure I didnt miss out while loading my cart. No complaints here but I havent got it yet. :) Prob gonna use it for a club brew project.

Jake-k where r you located?

Its only $11 each if you buy enough for free shipping. Given how little they offer and how fast it goes i ended up paying ~$52 (UPS shipping, ice packs etc). for three vials just to make sure I didnt miss out while loading my cart. No complaints here but I havent got it yet. :) Prob gonna use it for a club brew project.

Jake-k where r you located?

I live in rural Montana.

For those of you who got Bug County earlier this month, what is the propagation date on the vial? The description for it on Love2Brew says it changes every calendar year but hasn't been updated since 2014. I'm wondering what's different with 2015 or 2016.

For those of you who got Bug County earlier this month, what is the propagation date on the vial? The description for it on Love2Brew says it changes every calendar year but hasn't been updated since 2014. I'm wondering what's different with 2015 or 2016.

FWIW, the description on the ECY website is different:
ECY20 BugCounty : SEASONAL (OCT-DEC). With over 20 different isolates combined for fermentation to overwhelm the senses, this blend is the mother-bugger for wild ales. Like the BugFarm, Brettanomyces dominants the overall population, however, other wild yeast seen in spontaneous fermentations are also included (such as Pichia and Kloeckera ). Several strains of Saccharomyces, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus round out this large and complex culture.

I have a vial from 9/19/15, but there's not much info on the vial itself.

For the people who keep missing this, the updates seem to almost always happen between 10-11am Eastern time.

...and it's gaaaa-onnnnn.

:\ Missed it AGAIN!

Sorry man, that sucks! I always seemed to miss out the first year I started trying to get some. I finally was able to get a bunch of ECY strains over the past year and I'll keep posting here whenever I hear it's in stock at L2B. Don't give up!

I sent them an email asking if there is a "notify me when this is back in stock" option, because i'm not seeing one on the site. Or i'm just blind haha.

Man, it went quickly this time.

I've used the Saison Brasserie Blend, it's nice, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. I didn't get much of the phenolics that I like in a saison, but it ferments strongly.

Back