ECY on love2brew.com right now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@FinsFan Thanks for the heads-up, beats the other channels!
Ordered BugCounty, B. Naardenensis, and Dirty Dozen.

Time to start brewing.

pitch it in primary with saison yeast, bottle after 3 months (or when stable), and enjoy! :D

I've been wanting to pick up some TYB Wallonian Farmhouse. Maybe I'll pitch a 1/5th vial of the dirty dozen with that, and save the other 4/5ths to use as a 100% Brett fermentation.

Incredible. I check their page every single day, this morning I don't check it and it posts- and it's all sold out. Crazy

I've been wanting to pick up some TYB Wallonian Farmhouse. Maybe I'll pitch a 1/5th vial of the dirty dozen with that, and save the other 4/5ths to use as a 100% Brett fermentation.

I dont see any reason why that wouldnt work! Just for reference, the method I suggested earlier made one of the best beers for me to date. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Cheers!

In light of this update, I just checked on all my ECY sours aging (1, 2, 20). The eldest is at 11 months and tasting very good.

All were basically 60/40 Pils/Wheat, ibu less than 5. ECY20 got 1oz boiled hungarian oak cubes soaked in Dubbonet Rouge this summer. Might be a little oakier than I'd like right now but is otherwise coming along very nicely.

ECY01: pH 3.71. Nice, soft sourness with hints of lemon rind, minerality, and light stone fruit. Brewed April 2015
ECY02: pH 3.31 Bright lacto sourness, big cherry. Brewed June 2015
ECY20: pH 3.27 Rounded sourness, apricot, spicy oak. Brewed January 2015.

Do you really pay $14 shipping on a single vial? I've been dying for BugCountry but that seems a lil absurd. Has anyone called them and tried to find an alternative?

Do you really pay $14 shipping on a single vial? I've been dying for BugCountry but that seems a lil absurd. Has anyone called them and tried to find an alternative?

$17 shipping for me. I'll pass. They could throw this in a usps flat rate priority box with an ice pack and ship for $6 but they don't offer that option. Oh well I guess I'll never try any ECY stuff.

Absolutely, I do. I don't get why people frett so much over a few bucks in shipping expense. Assuming most people are planning on getting 5 gal of beer out of it, so let's say 2 cases of 12 oz'ers. I paid $15.23 in shipping for one vial. That's $0.32/bottle. That is sooo worth it compared to the price of commercial examples of sour or wild beers. Don't we all fork out this same amount for 4 pack, or a 750ml bottle, or a bomber every now and again? Or drop way more than this to belly up at a bar for a few pints?

:end rant:

Absolutely, I do. I don't get why people frett so much over a few bucks in shipping expense. Assuming most people are planning on getting 5 gal of beer out of it, so let's say 2 cases of 12 oz'ers. I paid $15.23 in shipping for one vial. That's $0.32/bottle. That is sooo worth it compared to the price of commercial examples of sour or wild beers. Don't we all fork out this same amount for 4 pack, or a 750ml bottle, or a bomber every now and again? Or drop way more than this to belly up at a bar for a few pints?

Exactly. And most of us use these blends more than once. I still have my ecy34 culture I bought a year ago. Used it in 3-4 batches already. It does have sticker shock for such a tiny box, but worth it IMO

It was $17 to ship 2 bottles that were going to be $23. I don't buy commercial bomber bottles for $15 to $40.

My point was that even with USPS shipping was still $13 and not worth the possibility that it would be stuck in limbo for up to a week.

I pay $5.99 for fresh Wyeast and shipping for 2 packs is another $5 that's $17 For two packs shipped or what I would've paid for shipping alone for 1 vial of ECY. I won't pay that price for the same reason I buy grains in bulk and hops in bulk.

I pay $5.99 for fresh Wyeast and shipping for 2 packs is another $5 that's $17 For two packs shipped or what I would've paid for shipping alone for 1 vial of ECY. I won't pay that price for the same reason I buy grains in bulk and hops in bulk.

The difference is that wyeast<>ECY.

Wyeast<<<<<<<ECY

So what if it's cheaper for a pack of roeselare. Apples and oranges.

All that said, I hate paying for new yeast, period. I will harvest from bottles, cakes, etc and only buy when I really have to. But when I do, I'll pay a little premium for some of these because I know they're going to yield good results.

I paid the UPS shipping price last year for some Bug County. It was my first time ordering ECY from love2brew, and it was worth every penny. Split one vial into 3 separate batches totalling 15 gallons, and I'll probably reuse at least one of those yeast cakes.

Also, after ordering and paying the high UPS price I saw that they do have a USPS option which is only $6 for me.

And if you are looking at trying Bug County, it is all completely worth it.

The difference is that wyeast<>ECY.

Wyeast<<<<<<<ECY

So what if it's cheaper for a pack of roeselare. Apples and oranges.

All that said, I hate paying for new yeast, period. I will harvest from bottles, cakes, etc and only buy when I really have to. But when I do, I'll pay a little premium for some of these because I know they're going to yield good results.

I've made a few very good sours with the Roeselare Blend. Personal preference I guess but no yeast is worth nearly $30 for a small vial imo.

I've made a few very good sours with the Roeselare Blend. Personal preference I guess but no yeast is worth nearly $30 for a small vial imo.

Unless it has a bottle of Cantillion on top!

I completely understand this premise for most people. However, many including me live on a limited budget. I homebrew to make high quality beer accessible to me. I'm not able to go out and buy a couple bottles of Cantillon on a college budget, so I brew sours myself.

While I'm sure BugCountry is excellent and top of the line, I'm able to brew quality sours with my own cultures. I'd love to have it, but don't NEED it.

That's why I find $26 yeast a tad outrageous. You absolutely can reuse cakes and I do all the time but I still struggle with the reality and premise of the number. If you can afford it and have no qualms about it, all the better for you!

Just my perspective,

-T

The shipping should not cost more than the product. Usps flat rate box is $5.80, that I would do.

They really should just go ahead and change the name officially to bug country. That's what everyone calls it anyway :D

Lol. I can relate! Every post I see regarding The Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale refers to it as Funkytown Pale Ale. I've considered changing it...

Lol. I can relate! Every post I see regarding The Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale refers to it as Funkytown Pale Ale. I've considered changing it...

Actually I've used funktown quite a bit and every time I see the name I end up humming Billy Joel for a couple of days. I think you should change it to "funktown girl" :ban:

but they're not fans of USPS.

I believe this is due to the size of the box they have to use to send it that cheaply. They claim it is not large enough to properly package it and have stated many customers complain that the vials therefore leak due to the rough treatment. I've shipped both ways and have had good luck though.

USPS is an option. i've never paid more in shipping that i have for the vials, thanks to the USPS option. maybe they should make that option more visible... but they're not fans of USPS.

I believe this is due to the size of the box they have to use to send it that cheaply. They claim it is not large enough to properly package it and have stated many customers complain that the vials therefore leak due to the rough treatment. I've shipped both ways and have had good luck though.

The USPS option is a bit hidden, and you may have to reselect it at the final checkout page if you did a refresh on it, but it is worth the price difference vs. UPS.
USPS is also standard 2-day Priority mail, which I believe is faster than the UPS option if you're more than a state away.

My last shipment came through UPS and the ECY11 (Belgian White) bottle had leaked out a little. Not a big amount or hard to clean up, as they are all resealed inside thick plastic ziplock bags. Yeast was fine, and there is a huge amount of it (400B).

Has anyone gotten an update on their order being shipped, or received their yeast yet?

My order is still on their site showing status: "Processing" since the day I placed the order, 12/17. I did get confirmation of the order placed, nothing since. Mail yesterday did not include a box (with yeast), I looked everywhere.

The USPS option is a bit hidden, and you may have to reselect it at the final checkout page if you did a refresh on it, but it is worth the price difference vs. UPS.

USPS is also standard 2-day Priority mail, which I believe is faster than the UPS option if you're more than a state away.

My last shipment came through UPS and the ECY11 (Belgian White) bottle had leaked out a little. Not a big amount or hard to clean up, as they are all resealed inside thick plastic ziplock bags. Yeast was fine, and there is a huge amount of it (400B).

I exclusively use USPS for The Yeast Bay shipments. The tracking info isn't as good as UPS, but the shipping in almost all cases is WAY faster than UPS Ground. Plus, with UPS Ground, the package spends a majority of time in a non-climate controlled truck as opposed to USPS Priority which goes almost the entire way to your local sorting facility via air, which is why I think I see a fair number of people saying their UPS shipped ECY bottle leaked. Plus the bottles used are cheaper knockoffs of the Nalgene bottles which do not seal very well. Happened to me twice in the years before I stopped buying yeast.

I exclusively use USPS for The Yeast Bay shipments. The tracking info isn't as good as UPS, but the shipping in almost all cases is WAY faster than UPS Ground. Plus, with UPS Ground, the package spends a majority of time in a non-climate controlled truck as opposed to USPS Priority which goes almost the entire way to your local sorting facility via air, which is why I think I see a fair number of people saying their UPS shipped ECY bottle leaked. Plus the bottles used are cheaper knockoffs of the Nalgene bottles which do not seal very well. Happened to me twice in the years before I stopped buying yeast.

Glad to hear you endorse USPS to ship your yeast. ;) L2B doesn't. They even vow advice against it. Their default method has UPS preselected, and it's hard to find the hidden alternative at less than half the cost.

In Red.
Not sure I follow you there. Why is a UPS shipment more inclined to leak than through USPS?

I'm all for low shipping as long as handling is at least equal or better, and even more so if it's faster if time is an important factor. I agree USPS has the better deal, 2-day priority for $6.70. I haven't had any problems with them, but I don't ship or receive 100s-1000s of bottles of yeast on a daily basis. Your logistical insights for those articles are better.

Glad to hear you endorse USPS to ship your yeast. ;) L2B doesn't. They even vow advice against it. Their default method has UPS preselected, and it's hard to find the hidden alternative at less than half the cost.

In Red.

Not sure I follow you there. Why is a UPS shipment more inclined to leak than through USPS?

I'm all for low shipping as long as handling is at least equal or better, and even more so if it's faster if time is an important factor. I agree USPS has the better deal, 2-day priority for $6.70. I haven't had any problems with them, but I don't ship or receive 100s-1000s of bottles of yeast on a daily basis. Your logistical insights for those articles are better.

If it's summer and your yeast is sitting in a truck boiling in the sun for 4 days as it goes across the country, it will likely get to a temperature of over 100 F for an extended period of time four days in a row, and will leak terribly from the yeast becoming very active and the pressure build up. Like I said, USPS priority tracking isn't as good as UPS, but it is ultimately waaaay faster and will spend more time on a plane as opposed to a truck, where freezing and very hot temperatures are common in extreme weather.

If it's summer and your yeast is sitting in a truck boiling in the sun for 4 days as it goes across the country, it will likely get to a temperature of over 100 F for an extended period of time four days in a row, and will leak terribly from the yeast becoming very active and the pressure build up. Like I said, USPS priority tracking isn't as good as UPS, but it is ultimately waaaay faster and will spend more time on a plane as opposed to a truck, where freezing and very hot temperatures are common in extreme weather.

Ah, thanks! Agreed, shipping yeast during extreme weather/seasons is never ideal, but if one must, the faster and less exposed to prevailing ambient temps the better, and count on the buffering factor of the entire cargo.

L2B claims they have more problems with leaking when sent through USPS than UPS, so I was wondering why you're experiencing the exact opposite to be true. Perhaps they have a contract with UPS.

I'll post back when I receive my 4 bottles through USPS and how Bretted the box is. :D

FYI, I've been checking your yeast and bug offerings too.

Back