Ecowasher for cleaning brewing equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withanx

Reaction score
41groztCz9L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWYNCGW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have one of these Ecowasher units that I use with my laundry. It takes in cold water and electronically modifies it into a cleaning chemical, mostly peroxide. Here is a quote from their website:

The EcoWasher® technology creates ozone, hydrogen peroxide, and negative ions within the water. This water then passes through a static mixer to create hydroxyl radicals. This oxidized water then enters your washing machine to disinfect and deep clean your laundry like never before!

It works great for my laundry. When the guy sold it to me, he mentioned it's great for cleaning all kinds of things. Does anyone use one for cleaning brewing equipment?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of this thing before. Very interesting. Does it just hook onto the the washing machine's incoming hot water feed? If so, I could see myself add a "t" and valve and use it that way.

Kinda spendy, though. It would take a few years to equal my costs of laundry detergent and oxy.

It mounts onto the wall and has an in and out hose connector. It hooks up to the cold water, not the hot, although I wonder if there is any issue with connecting it to the hot. I'm working on a test to see how good it performs compared to my gold standard PBW. If it works well, I will get a splitter and run a hose to my brewing area. Will save me about $50/yr+ in cleaner costs if it works.

Well, I just did some testing, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I transferred 2 carboys to kegs yesterday. Both had pretty high hardened krausen around the top inside of the carboy. After rinsing out both with a quick fill and dump to get out the yeast, I filled one with PBW and one with the ecowasher water and let them soak overnight. Within 10 minutes I could see the bubbles "lifting" off some of the hardened material on both of them.

After 24 hours, I dumped both out and rinsed them with water and both were spotless. Seems like the ecowasher water will work well for my needs. I plan on running a faucet out to my brewery so I can hook up a hose and have cleaner "on tap".

Back