Economical PID units (i.e. InkBird) vs. "higher" end

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally adding PID control to my vessels. I'm finding inkbird kits for $35 which include the SSR, controller, probe and heat sink (although, I'll probably use a different probe and heat sink anyway).

There are other cheaper units as well.

I'm also looking at the ebrewsupply PID controller, which I dunno, looks neat, I guess. Just the PID is $40. I don't mind spending more for a higher quality unit, but I usually like to find a middle ground where you get decent quality for a a decent price.

Do the inkbird PIDs (or other economy units) perform as well as more expensive sources (auber, ebrewsupply, etc...).

Suggestions?

PM me your address and you can have a basic one for free.

If you're going to buy one, the software in the Auber EZ Boil requires almost no tuning. I'm glad I upgraded, but plenty of people have had success getting normal PIDs running.

I have the higher end ezboil with multiple relays and such as well as a bunch of mypin td4 pids (ones with manual mode) as far as pids go I would say the mypins are as good as any despite the poor documentation. they are easier to use tand switch back and forth from manual to auto and have a shorter cycle time out of the box than the aubers (Its unclear if the aubers go down to 1 second cycle time since ive been told conflicting answers).
The EZBOIL is not a pid. its more of a purpose built temp controller for beer brewing. it does work very well and holds temps great (not that there will be any functional difference related to the beer). I did find the ezboils menus confusing, even more so than the mypin and ever time I used it I found myself fumbling and trying to rememeber how to use it. at some points I just wished I left the third mypin installed in its place.

I do have an inkbird pid but its still in the box and I havent had any project to try it on now that I abandoned my pid panel in favor of Brucontrol. From the review here they work ok but ive read many users have issues with the temps reading erratically and jumping around. the documentation also seems to be lacking due to translation.

IMG_20180311_131603.jpg
the ezboil is super easy to use

PM me your address and you can have a basic one for free.

If you're going to buy one, the software in the Auber EZ Boil requires almost no tuning. I'm glad I upgraded, but plenty of people have had success getting normal PIDs running.

Well, this is a hard deal to beat.

The EZBOIL is not a pid. its more of a purpose built temp controller for beer brewing.

This is interesting... It still pulses the SSR on/off to manage heat I assume? It must use some kind of algorithm to know how much power to regulate... perhaps it just is tuned more for brewing?

as long as its got manual mode to control a boil.. if it doesnt your better off buying one for $30 that does honestly.

Currently I'm just looking for mash tun control right now... it appears that the EzBoil can be configured for mash temp control as well.

For the boil, I opted for a more manual approach. I purchased this from auber a long time ago:
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=332

...so I can run it wide open until I get near boil then turn it down. I'm sure after my first boil over I'll be ordering an EzBoil as it seems it will do this for you.

Auber has a table on their website for intended applications.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53

If you look at the controller manual there is an appendix where they describe the fundamental difference between their unit and a standard PID.

https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/DSPR300_manual.pdf

In practice during the mash the cycle firing of the PID is probably the least important variable.

1. Good Circulation
2. Good Probe Placement
3. Good Controller Tuning
4. Everything Else

With regards you the boil, I don't think you will mind the SSVR approach. There are basically two adjustments you have to make for the entire boil, turning a knob is not a great hardship.

Back