eBIAB with PWM wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Getting closer and closer to actually building this thing. Most of the components are sitting in a big pile. Pulled some new wiring in the garage and added another 240v outlet. Sold my hottub and ended up with a spa panel that had no purpose. . .handy!

So, my question is. . . I plan to build this in stages. For now I just want to run with the PWM and add a PID later. I like the simplicity of manual control with PWM but I like being able to set temps with the PID.

So, for stage 1, I'd like to have a switch set up for either full power to the element or run through the PWM (as I understand the PWM doesn't do 100% duty cycle)

I'm using bits and pieces of PJs wiring diagram below. There will be no PID for now so whats the easiest way to have a 100% power and PWM switch?

I'm a fairly competent electrical guy but I just want some opinion before I push on.

(I know all this is overkill for a single vessel eBIAB set-up, but I just like tinkering. . .)

eBIABwiringdiagram.jpg

cool. . . next time I'll start a thread called, "Do you think I should do this or not" Then your response would be relavant to my question.

Wow, just read my response and it was a total dick response. Hard to communicate sarcasm online. . .dang. Apologies!

As far as the PWM goes, I like the easy adjustment of the boil and won't set up to recirculate during the mash until I get my PID and pump set up.

For now, I just heat to mash temp and then leave it alone. I brew indoors and I lose so little in temp I'm not all that worried. I honestly am planning to recirc just cause its cool and adds some bling. . .

So you would need a 12v DC power supply. Since the PID supplies that to the SSR and with a pwm controller you need 12v DC to power it and control the SSR. So really all you need to do to have a full power switch is run a circuit directly to the SSR from the PSU with a switch in between.

I did the pwm route as a stage, I can give the wiring diagram, but honestly I'd go with the PID and just use the manual control instead.
I used a controller from balkatronics so $8 + $7.50 shipping + $2.50 for a knob + $1 or so for the capacitor + an hour to assemble all of which is non transferable to the upgraded system. Extra $20 for just the PID and you'll be halfway towards your final goal. Make the temp probe and it's mounting your upgrade instead.
Also just to clarify, the pwm takes 5 vdc to 12vdc so finding that is easy. And my mash temps are stable. Using recirculating eBIAB and reading the temps with a thermometer in the mash.

Already have the pwm board and stuff. I'll take your wiring diagram! I'm pretty much ready start wiring.

Figured I'd throw out a quick update. My panel probably won't end up like this but I've been cutting up a bunch of PJ drawings to make what I want to end up with. It's way over the top for BIAB, but I like to tinker and I like flashing lights. So, here it is so far. There will be more lights added. . .

This is my long term plan. I'm currently building a simple PWM controller so I can get brewing. Hey, maybe I'll like it enough that I never get this far, but I doubt it. . .

WatershedBIABWiring1.png

Back