eBIAB newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan G6

Reaction score
Good morning....recently completed setting up my new system, 30 gal single vessel. Using Auber EZ boil PiD in my controller. I am planning on placing my temp probe in the recirculation return....then it dawned on me that the controller won’t see the temp when I’m boiling unless I recirculate. Anyone familiar with the ez boil can tell me if the controller will boil without the temp probe. I see you can set the controller to change % output, not sure if I will need another probe in the kettle wall...thanks!

You will need to keep the temperature probe plugged in, otherwise the ez boil will not function. I did this and ended up changing the location near my element at the bottom of the kettle. Reason is the response time of the temperature has a large lag and I saw large overshoots.

Good morning....recently completed setting up my new system, 30 gal single vessel. Using Auber EZ boil PiD in my controller. I am planning on placing my temp probe in the recirculation return....then it dawned on me that the controller won’t see the temp when I’m boiling unless I recirculate. Anyone familiar with the ez boil can tell me if the controller will boil without the temp probe. I see you can set the controller to change % output, not sure if I will need another probe in the kettle wall...thanks!
I put mine in the vessel wall..it works for me this way...i do not know your setup

Best location is close to the element (within 1", the closer the better, but not touching) and between the element and the pick-up for the recirculation. This puts the probe in the region of hottest wort, in an area where there should be some flow. You want to measure the hottest wort during the mash, so that it can be kept below temps that will rapidly denature the enzymes.

Brew on :mug:

I have recently moved to an ebiab set up. I mocked the High Gravity 15g pot with a basket. Of my first 3 beers on this system, I've noticed two brews being....hmmm, sweater than normal; The FGs were a little higher than anticipated on both. One definitely underatinuated. The probe is on my lid and I've noticed a discrepancy of about 5 degrees from the pid read and the dial thermometer that I have dipped in the mash.
I will be moving the prop to the outlet of the kettle and try it this way before my next mash. If this makes the discrepancy less and I like the results I will avoid punching a hole for the probe on the lower part of my kettle. Ill let you know how this goes.
Thanks for sharing everyone.

I have recently moved to an ebiab set up. I mocked the High Gravity 15g pot with a basket. Of my first 3 beers on this system, I've noticed two brews being....hmmm, sweater than normal; The FGs were a little higher than anticipated on both. One definitely underatinuated. The probe is on my lid and I've noticed a discrepancy of about 5 degrees from the pid read and the dial thermometer that I have dipped in the mash.
I will be moving the prop to the outlet of the kettle and try it this way before my next mash. If this makes the discrepancy less and I like the results I will avoid punching a hole for the probe on the lower part of my kettle. Ill let you know how this goes.
Thanks for sharing everyone.
I switched to having my probe next to my element inside the kettle. (Originally in the same position as you have it.) There is a lag from the element to the lid. The system maybe heating your wort too much below the basket. In my case it was 3-5 degF hotter than the lid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back