easy way to get sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, you have been a member since Dec. 2007 and have over 20,000 posts, that is a 23 a day post average. If you posts are anything like this reply you are not brewing enough and just passing on junk that has been regurgitated from the interwebs. Turn off the computer and brew a little bit bro….
Get some hands on experience and learn what your yeast does. If you want any suggestions or tips on brewing feel free to PM me so we don’t high jack the OPs thread.

The OP is satisfied with the answers he has received so please pardon an OT post...

I am certainly no brewing expert.

But what value do you feel you added to this thread? The OP asked how to take a sample, your response was to tell him not to. Isn't that kinda like telling the doctor it hurts when you bend your finger, and him telling you not to bend it?

No offense to the OP, but do you REALLY expect someone who is looking for advise on something as routine as getting a sample to be an expert on yeast?

I was under the impression that commercial breweries used their labs for sampling, analyzing, and testing... didn't realize they just "know their yeast" so there is no need for all that.

And I don't think you hurt anyone's feelings... I think most can recognize the difference between knowledge and arrogance.

The nice thing about it being the 21st century is that with a smartphone and wireless connection, I can post on the crapper if I feel like it. ;)

:mug:

:eek: TMI

Seriously Revvy, your posts are informative. I am not a new brewer and have read several books, including DeClerck, and have learned some very helpful hints from your posts.

LOL @ "just brew more and know your yeast."

obv troll is obv?

**waits for KingofCascade to site my join date/post count as reason why I know nothing**

LOL @ "just brew more and know your yeast."

obv troll is obv?

**waits for KingofCascade to site my join date/post count as reason why I know nothing**

LOL. :mug:

Hey look at this picture.....

IMG_5196.JPG

According to the caption it says; "Quality Laboratory at Coors
Coors Brewery Tour - January 17, 2009"

And this one labeled "Fatty acid determination in beer in brewery laboratory."

Fatty%20acid%20determination%20in%20beer%20in%20brewery%20laboratory-228508.jpg

"Brewer in laboratory with beer samples for stability tests"
Brewer%20in%20laboratory%20with%20beer%20samples%20for%20stability%20tests-228573.jpg

Laboratory assistant testing tannic acid etc in brewery lab
228527_T.JPG

You mean breweries have labs? :confused:

;)

I don't know...actually before I read the caption I was thinking it was dookey. :D

But yeah I wonder if it was Kielbasa, beer and brats do go together don't they? ;)

She needs to leave the lab and let me get to know her kielbasa. Mmmm

I don't know...actually before I read the caption I was thinking it was dookey. :D

But yeah I wonder if it was Kielbasa, beer and brats do go together don't they? ;)

Theres plenty of dookey in this thread................

The one closest to us looks like a coffee roll

Dude, you have been a member since Dec. 2007 and have over 20,000 posts, that is a 23 a day post average. If you posts are anything like this reply you are not brewing enough and just passing on junk that has been regurgitated from the interwebs. Turn off the computer and brew a little bit bro….
Get some hands on experience and learn what your yeast does. If you want any suggestions or tips on brewing feel free to PM me so we don’t high jack the OPs thread.

How can one learn what yeast does without taking measurements? Should one just accept junk that has been regurgitated from the interwebs?

Sorry for my delayed response…I was brewing. Not sure about Coors but InBev has over 100 brands and brews hundreds of millions of barrels per year. If you stack all the 12 packs they make in a year of just one brand from one regional brewery on top of each other they will touch the moon. Sure they have a lab but you have to be crazy to think they check their beers throughout fermentation (as the OP suggested) they know were the beer will end up then check once to make sure.
I just wanted to throw out some information on the risks of checking you gravity every day but if you don’t want to try it, then don’t. Don’t make post trying to discredit it (OHIO-ED) just because you read on the internet that this is how its done.
BTW- lame analogy…if it hurts to bend your finger why bend it…doctors right.

Sorry for my delayed response…I was brewing. Not sure about Coors but InBev has over 100 brands and brews hundreds of millions of barrels per year. If you stack all the 12 packs they make in a year of just one brand from one regional brewery on top of each other they will touch the moon. Sure they have a lab but you have to be crazy to think they check their beers throughout fermentation (as the OP suggested) they know were the beer will end up then check once to make sure.
I just wanted to throw out some information on the risks of checking you gravity every day but if you don’t want to try it, then don’t. Don’t make post trying to discredit it (OHIO-ED) just because you read on the internet that this is how its done.
BTW- lame analogy…if it hurts to bend your finger why bend it…doctors right.

OP did not suggest checking SG throughout fermentation... His brew has been in primary 2 weeks and he asked how to get a sample. Your response was to tell him not to measure.

Do you work for Coors or InBev? That may explain their crappy beer (sorry couldn't resist :D)
No one here is trying to produce millions of barrels a year, so ours might tend to get a bit more attention.

No one suggested checking the gravity every day.

Not sure what you are referring to that I tried to discredit???

I guess I feel knowing your yeast is more important then checking numbers

does the yeast talk to you then? neat trick.

Just because a yeast CAN hit a certain abv/attenuation doesn't mean it always does. Its a living creature, not a chemical with known outcomes that cannot vary batch to batch.

Until I become a yeast whisperer, I'll continue to rely on science and gravity/brix readings to tell me the truth about my beer.

does the yeast talk to you then? neat trick.

Just because a yeast CAN hit a certain abv/attenuation doesn't mean it always does. Its a living creature, not a chemical with known outcomes that cannot vary batch to batch.

Until I become a yeast whisperer, I'll continue to rely on science and gravity/brix readings to tell me the truth about my beer.

And you will continue to unnecessary risk infection by opening your lid and sticking objects in the wort. Just simply stated to the OP to check the gravity once at bottling and not risk infection by taking multiple readings.

And you will continue to unnecessary risk infection by opening your lid and sticking objects in the wort. Just simply stated to the OP to check the gravity once at bottling and not risk infection by taking multiple readings.

You are claiming people are spreading around "false information they read online", while you're spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt about infections.

Back