easy question 1st time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarrsipius

Reaction score
after your beer is carbonated and you are hooking up the out line for the first time, I presume you need to bleed off the pressure before connecting it...correct?

Yes just in case any beer blows back onto your regulator. I suppose if you turned up the pressure first before opening the line valve it shouldn't be a problem though.

More experienced people will chime in. :)

Whoops read your question wrong! I bleeded off the pressure personally then hitted it with the serving pressure.

"I bleeded off the pressure personally then hitted it with the serving pressure."

I agree!!

Please make sure you put the tap in the back of the throat and put yourself in a Home Brew Coma!!! :)
Enjoy the keg life

I'm reading this differently. When I'm connecting the out (serving) line I don't release the pressure. If you are connecting the in (gas) line you should release the pressure in the keg. If the gas line pressure is less than the keg pressure you could get beer in your CO2 lines and regulator.

If the gas line pressure is less than the keg pressure you could get beer in your CO2 lines and regulator.

No doubt, whack her up! :rockin:

Frankly, you don't need to release the keg pressure if its minimal - IE nothing will fly - but if you have 30 or 40 psi in there you will want to bleed it off before you hook up the product/pickup line.

This is actually from working with pressure i'm new to craft beer. :)

Ok, I release all pressure before doing anything. Put my gas hose on with gas running at serving pressure. You hear a little siss from the low pressure gas getting sassy with my brew.

Then I hook up the liquid side and marry the two in holy matrimony, in which I can then live the moment and feel divine. :)

Sounds like either way would work. I just wasn't sure if the beer in the keg would foam up or something when you bleed off the pressure you used to carbonate it (assuming you did the slower 1-2 week force carbing method).

Are you supposed to hook up the beverage line as the very last step? I gave my cream ale 2 days at 30PSI and then another 5 at 18 to get it to the correct carbonation level. Being all a twitterpated to try some I hooked up the beverage line and then bled the pressure. Now I have bubbles in my beverage line and when I open the tap it pulses with about half a glass of foam! Where did I go wrong?

Back