Easy Hef recipe for a newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benxrow2002

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Hefeweissen recipe. I started my first batch of Blonde Ale and am going to be bottling this weekend. I'd like to get started right away on another batch but I need something relatively easy. Preferrably something that just includes LME.

Any ideas?

6.60 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 100.00 %
1.25 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

How's that?

How much water are you boiling? I do the Late Addition Method.

1 .5 gal water
1 lb LME

Bring to a boil and add 3%AA Hallertau hops.

Boil 45 mins. Remove from heat.

Add remaining 5.5-5.6 lbs LME and dissolve.

Let sit for 15 mins. Pour into primary bucket. Top off to 5.25 gals.

Take readings. Pitch a good German Hefe Weizen yeast when temps are below 80F (70F even better).

I place 4 gals of PUR filtered tap water in the freezer for 4-5 hours priot to brewing. Temps usually go down to the 60s after topping off. ;) :D

Professor Frink said:
+1 on that recipe, if you're using LME, I'd probably try the late addition extract method to keep your color light.

+1 on the late addition. You can add one can of LME in the beginning and then add the other with about 10 minutes left to the boil. Just realize your IBUs will be altered so drop the hop amount to 1oz even...

I can easily boil 3 gallons of water (old turkey fryer pot).

Also, is there a dry yeast that could be rehydrated for this style of beer or is it 100% necessary to go the liquid route?

benxrow2002 said:
I can easily boil 3 gallons of water (old turkey fryer pot).

Also, is there a dry yeast that could be rehydrated for this style of beer or is it 100% necessary to go the liquid route?

If you want dry yeast, you can use Safale WB-06 but you'd have to only pitch about 3/4's of the packet and ferment it around 68F...

Soulive said:
If you want dry yeast, you can use Safale WB-06 but you'd have to only pitch about 3/4's of the packet and ferment it around 68F...

The only review I read about that yeast was not too favorable, anyone else try it?

That'll work.

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the help and ideas. This home brewing thing is addicting!

6 Lbs Wheat LME
1.5 Lbs Wheat DME

1 lb torrified wheat
1 lb munich

Steep Until Boil Discard Grains

1 oz Perle aau 6.6 - 60 min
.5 oz saaz aau 3.0 - 15 min
.5 oz herzbrucker 3.3 - 15 min
.5 oz saaz 3.0 - 2 min
.5 oz herzbrucker 3.3 - 2 min

O.G. 1.060
F.G. 1.010

Here is my late extract addition recipe. I have only made it once, but it came out perfectly.

Half-Hour Hefeweizen (HHH)
Batch Size: 5.0 gallons
Boil Volume: 2.25 gallons
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 (75% AA)
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
IBU: 15
ABV: 5.0%
SRM: 3-5

Ingredients:
5.6 lbs Wheat DME
0.75 oz Hallertau hop pellets (3.2 AA)
Wyeast 3068
5.25 gallons water (plus additional, as needed)

Directions:
1. Boil 2.25 gallons water; turn off flame.
2. Add 1.0 lb wheat DME, stirring until dissolved and 0.75 oz hallertau (3.0 AA) hop pellets.
3. Boil for 30 minutes; turn off flame.
4. Add 4.6 lbs wheat DME in 1 lb increments, stirring each until dissolved.
5. Let sit for 15 minutes.
6. Add 3.0 gallons cold water to fermenter.
7. Add wort to fermenter; top with water, as necessary, up to 5.0 gallons.
8. Cool in ice water bath or with a wort chiller, pitch Wyeast 3068 at 70 degrees.
9. Seal in ale pail primary with a vodka-filled airlock for 2 to 3 weeks.
10. Rack to a keg, chill, and force carbonate or rack to a bottling bucket, add 5 oz. corn sugar, and bottle, allowing at least 1 week at room temperature for carbonation.

That would work, or at least 2 weeks anyway. The best way to know for sure is to check with your hydrometer to make sure fermentation is done, and then let it sit for about a week or so after that before bottling.

benxrow2002 said:
And guys all recommend about 3-4 in primary fermenter?

Im assuming your asking Days, I leave mine in Primary for 7 and with a Hefe I dont secondary I just Rack and Bottle.

my second beer was an extract only wheat that used the safale dry yeast and it came out really good. it wasn't very "hefe" though, it actually went pretty clear even after only 2 weeks in primary.

that yeast did a job for me!

YooperBrew said:
That would work, or at least 2 weeks anyway. The best way to know for sure is to check with your hydrometer to make sure fermentation is done, and then let it sit for about a week or so after that before bottling.

+1

and some extra words to get to the 10 word min :D

Frink, I've used that yeast and it works. The only thing I do differently is, as I mentioned, I don't pitch the whole pack and I ferment slightly warmer than I would the liquid. Personally, I prefer the liquid for weizens...

I actually changed my recipe to 2-3 weeks before reading everyone else's reply. The original was just a typo (sloppy cutting and pasting from another recipe). And it may be ready quicker. This hefe only bubbled for a week or so, but a prior batch with the same yeast went two weeks.

K.I.S.S.

6 Lbs. Wheat DME
1 oz. Hallertau
WLP300
blow-off tube

Yummmmmy, easy and fun to learn about blow-off tubes!

Tried and true recipe by a bunch of us here.

Back