Easiest commercial label removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownbraden10

Reaction score
I've always hated saving commercial pop top bottles because I didn't like removing the labels. But, I tried some Maisels Weisse and liked their slightly slimmer bottles (11.2 FL. OZ.) so I decided I'd save them and try to remove the labels. I put them in the sink with the hottest water my sink could do. Let the water get cold. And was pleasantly surprised with the easiest label removal. All 6 bottles' 3 labels fell right off without any residue.
20200503_135216.jpg
Any other commercial beers yall have had similar results with?

I feel like the glue has gotten way better than 5 years ago. It’s used to be an overnight in PBW and I was good to go.

tried removing some labels this week. Nothing moving.

I'm pretty sure it's a brewery specific thing. I used to do a lot of long neck bottling and some brewery bottles soaked off on their own (Sam Adams) while there were others that I literally gave up on and tossed (Mad River - I swear they used a solvent-based adhesive! WTF does that in this age?)

Frankly I'm happy the whole bottling paradigm is a decade long gone from this home brewery ;)

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure it's a brewery specific thing. I used to do a lot of long neck bottling and some brewery bottles soaked off on their own (Sam Adams) while there were others that I literally gave up on and tossed (Mad River - I swear they used a solvent-based adhesive! WTF does that in this age?)

Frankly I'm happy the whole bottling paradigm is a decade long gone from this home brewery ;)

Cheers!

For sure. The bigger breweries also seem to use a paper label, and then a clear coat over it. I like the 22 oz bottle from yellow rose. But those labels SUCK.

@brownbraden10 you are on the right path... basically any German beer the labels will slide off in a hot water soak just like you experienced. I think it is largely due to the fact many German breweries still reuse bottles, so it makes sense for them to use a glue that is easily removed.

There were others that I literally gave up on and tossed (Mad River - I swear they used a solvent-based adhesive! WTF does that in this age?)
I quit drinking Goose Island because of horrible their labels are. Also, they started brewing 312 in New York (312 is a Chicago area code).

I fill a shallow rubbermaid tote with hot water and mix in PBW, put my bottles in, put the lid on, and let them sit overnight. In the morning I rinse with more warm water and most labels come off fine. I've only had trouble with one 6-pack of bottles lately, I think it was UFO. I reuse hot sauce bottles too, for homemade sauces, and I de-label them the same way.

I have a kiddy pool filled with water and oxy clean that I just let sit. They have been sitting for about a week now. Kona brewing, new Belgium, and sam Adams. Fall right off. Breckenridge brewing co, red stripe and stone brewing... the opposite.

Kona brewing, new Belgium, and sam Adams. Fall right off. Breckenridge brewing co, red stripe and stone brewing... the opposite.
I agree with the New Belgium falling right off after a soak in hot water... I use mostly their bottles because of that and that’s also almost all my dad drinks and I get all his empties. The Breckinridge bottles use a different label/ adhesive. They are a polyester label with a strong adhesive. You have to peel those labels off, hopefully in one piece, and use a strong adhesive remover to get the residue off the glass. I’ve found that lacquer thinner actually works the best if you’re willing to deal with that kind of product. Sometimes I’m not in the mood and they go in the trash... it just depends how bad I need bottles.

it’s so crazy that I’m having a hard time thinking of breweries other than Sam Addams, I spent a lot of my time early on removing a ton of labels, like almost 30 cases worth.

When I started brewing my township had a drop off recycling center and You had to separate the colors so I’d just go dumpster diving and come home with a ton of bottles so I did get stuff that I didn’t drink so trying to remember, Hoggarden, Magic Hat, Heavy Seas, Innis and Gun, Ballast Point, New Belgium, that’s about all I can remember now. Stone is like lazered on so I just used to put whatever style was on the label.

I agree with the New Belgium falling right off after a soak in hot water... I use mostly their bottles because of that and that’s also almost all my dad drinks and I get all his empties. The Breckinridge bottles use a different label/ adhesive. They are a polyester label with a strong adhesive. You have to peel those labels off, hopefully in one piece, and use a strong adhesive remover to get the residue off the glass. I’ve found that lacquer thinner actually works the best if you’re willing to deal with that kind of product. Sometimes I’m not in the mood and they go in the trash... it just depends how bad I need bottles.

thinking about doing the same. Some mineral spirits to knock out the adhesive.

Back