Earthy Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex2Ten

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew up a Pale Ale with a very Earthy/Natural/Organic flavor and aroma. If you've ever walked into Earthbound Trading Company, that's what I would like this beer to wind up like. That smell and general feeling. Kindof a Patchouli/ Nag Champa kind of thing. There are several hops that claim Earthy or Herbal qualities, but can anyone offer a good combination to achieve this? I'm also considering adding chicory for a woody quality. Can ya hepme?

I've gotten 'woody' from Northern Brewer hops. And I know Simcoe are known for their pungent dankness.

Using some darker crystal in the right amount might give you more of those darker flavors you're looking for.

When you say 'earthy' makes me think of 'Dig' by New Belgium. There are clone recipes out there. Like this one. The hopping for that one leans more on the herbal side of things, but it is a great beer that has something of what you're shooting for I think.

Fuggles are a pretty earthy-tasting hop, although I still get some citrus from them. Simcoe is more piney/citrusy for me than earthy. I did an all-Fuggles IPA recently and get some lemon and brown sugar from the nose, with some dirt/earth flavor.

Maybe add some Spanish Cedar chips/spirals in secondary? Is that the kind of aroma you're after?

Back