Earl grey imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripplehazzard

Reaction score
This is a dry run at a recipe I already brewed.I have scaled this up from a 2.5 gallon recipe I created in beersmith. This is not the final recipe. I would like to hone it, with the help of my hbt family. I love this idea for an IPA and would love any insight anyone has. Alright here goes

Earl grey imperial IPA: created on beersmith
5 gallon recipe
Grain bill
11.5# 2 row (American pale malt)
1.2# cara-pils
2# wheat malt
3# marris otter
1.2# Crystal 40

*edit* 1# terrified wheat
Mash @148 for 60 min
Batch sparge to volumes of your boil.
Hops
1oz ctz@ 60
.5oz Magnum@30
.5oz citra @30
1oz ctz@10
1oz citra@10
.5oz Amarillo @ 5
.5 oz citra @flameout
.5oz Amarillo@ flameout
5 earl grey tea bags at flameout

Keep tea bags in during wort chilling. Removed before pitching
Pitched on 1056 yeast cake and
Also pitched san Diego super yeast. Wyeast
Fermented @65○

Dry hop with 8 tea bags and 2 oz azacca hops for 3-5 days.

That's about all I can remember about how I brewed this with notes and beersmith. Enjoy!! Happy brewing :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

8894920-panic-emoticon.jpg

I'd get some bourgamot peel or extract rather than dry hop with black tea. The flavor would pair well with hops but the tanins...

Im not familiar with that.. where would one acquire this? Never heard of it. I forgot to add that I pulled the tea bags after about 24 hours.I didn't want it to impart any more bitterness by the over steeped tea

It's a weird little orange that makes earl grey taste like earl grey. I'm sure you can get it as an extract or peel through amazon. But if it's good with the tea no judgment!

I'd get some bourgamot peel or extract rather than dry hop with black tea. The flavor would pair well with hops but the tanins...

I agree. Bergamot is the flavor that distinguishes Earl Grey from regular black tea. Using some peel or extract would allow you to isolate and add that flavor without adding any tea.

Either way, let us know how it turns out. Interesting concept. :mug:

If you brewed it once how was it? Can you tell what about it you would like to tweak? What were the OG and FG? I don't know your efficiency but it looks like a pretty big beer with a lot of total crystal for the style, was wondering if it finished high. Like the others I was also thinking it would be better to go with spices rather than actual tea but if it didn't come out too astringent I guess that's okay. That's a pretty large pitch there if I understand correctly that you pitched on an entire cake plus added SD super yeast.

Its still carbing.I will let you know how it turns out. I did take a few samples of it and I was impressed so far.it needs time to condition a bit. I didn't notice any off flavour. I did pitch too much yeast. I was worried about having enough healthy cells so I added more. I had never re used a yeast cake before and was worried about it being such a big beer. I hit my og and FG on this and it fermented out all the way

Og- 1.082
Fg- 1.022
I had about 75% efficiency

Im going to re brew soon and use spices and see if I can get more earl grey taste out of it. Right now it has a pretty tropical punch flavor to it with a nice bitterness through. I love IPA's with lots of citrus notes. Im going to enter it into a beer contest with the local brew club. We will see how it does, it will be my first contest

So you add 1# terrified wheat or you changed from 2# wheat malt to 1# terrified wheat?

I added 1#
Probably unnecessary but I had it laying around and said wtf... it wont hurt.

I'm going to re brew soon and use spices and see if I can get more earl grey taste out of it. Right now it has a pretty tropical punch flavor to it with a nice bitterness through. I love IPAs with lots of citrus notes.

Resurrecting an old thread I know but I'm interested to know how this turned out. I was just discussing doing something like this yesterday. I had read a few varying opinions on whether another style might not be better with the Earl Grey. What's your opinion?

Latest posts

Back