E-Herms mash out question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrad

Reaction score
I just had my first brew day on my new system (spike turnkey 15gal). My question is how should I mash out? I brewed a saison, did a 90 min mash at 142f then raised my HLT temp to 168f. Once at 168f I started sparging. I figured the sparge water would effectively do my mash out during the 30-45min sparge. But, the wort flowing out of the mash tun never got close to 168 (154 to be exact).
Should I raise the mash to 168, rest, then sparge? This would take about 25 minutes total (15 to get to temp, 10 to rest). Will that extra time effect the beer’s quality? Say I was doing a 60 minute mash, should I start the mash out process at 45 minutes?

I just had my first brew day on my new system (spike turnkey 15gal). My question is how should I mash out? I brewed a saison, did a 90 min mash at 142f then raised my HLT temp to 168f. Once at 168f I started sparging. I figured the sparge water would effectively do my mash out during the 30-45min sparge. But, the wort flowing out of the mash tun never got close to 168 (154 to be exact).
Should I raise the mash to 168, rest, then sparge? This would take about 25 minutes total (15 to get to temp, 10 to rest). Will that extra time effect the beer’s quality? Say I was doing a 60 minute mash, should I start the mash out process at 45 minutes?

When you want to raise the temp is up to you and what you get from your process. And yes this is one way to do it. That's how I did it with 3V-setup.

I would recommend completing your 60 min mash then raising the temp to 168f. Once your mast temp is 168f kill the power to your HLT and start sparging.

That's how I do it. At the end of the mash time, I bump the temperature up to 170 (I have a slight differential from the temperature of the HLT and the wort entering the MLT) and run it fully open until I reach 168 in the MLT, then start sparging.

If I were to run a HERMS system, and do a mash out, I would raise the HLT temp to ~185 to speed up the ramp to mash out temps. Then as soon as the bulk of the mash got to ~168, I'd start the sparge. If you mash pH is in line, and your sparge water acidified, you will not have any tannin extraction.

Brew on :mug:

I do a full volume mash with mash out. I used to stir up the grain bed once the temp got to 168, vorlauf, then continue with recirculation. Instead of disturbing the grain bed, I just change temp to mashout and start the 10 min timer once it gets there. I haven't noticed a change.

Back