Dyqik's Simple ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyqik

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
32 (est)
Color
11 (est)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Strong maltiness with some balancing bitterness, aroma typical of EKG. Heavy bodied.
This is my first attempt at building an AG ESB recipe from scratch. It's a deliberately simple recipe for this reason, but it's turned out pretty well for a first go. I'm trying a number of recipes that are slightly more complex than SMaSH beers to learn the ingredients, yeasts and techniques with my equipment and suppliers.

Recipe:
Water - Boston tap water, dechlorinated with 1/4 Campden tablet and with 15g of Burton salts added.

10 lbs Pale Malt - UK 2-row
2 lbs Crystal 40L

Mashed at 154 F, 1.25 qts/lb (3.75 gallons strike liquor) for 60 mins
Fly sparge with 4.7 gallons of water

Preboil volume and gravity 6.9 gallons at 1048

All hops are East Kent Goldings, Hopunion Leaf, 6.4% AA
60 min boil
1 oz. EK Goldings at 60 min
1 oz. EK Goldings at 20 min
1 Whirlfloc tablet at 15 min
1 oz. EK Goldings at 5 min

Cool to 65F
Collect 5.2 gallons of wort
O.G. 1058

Pitch 1 packet of S-04.
Primary at 65 F for 7 days
Secondary at 63 F for 14 days
F.G. 1018
Bottle at 2.3 vols (5 oz corn sugar)

I'm now tasting this after 2.5 weeks in bottles at 66F and 3 days in the fridge. It needs the full 3 days cold crash to balance at this condition, but hopefully that will come down with a few more weeks in the bottle.

If I did this again, I'd go with less crystal malt, but darker, and mash a little lower in temperature (I think I started at 158F and reduced to 154F rather than the specified 152) to reduce the heavy body down a little.

Back