Dupont clone fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerhd36

Reaction score
Im in the middle of brewing a saison dupont clone and noticed on the candisyrup recipe it says
"Hold Primary at 80F for 72 hours then slowly ramp down to 70F over the next 4 days. Rack to secondary and hold at 70F for 10 days. Bottle prime with Simplicity at a rate of 35g/gallon. Bottle in heavy Belgian or champagne bottles. Ready in 6 weeks."
http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/saison_dupont_clone_-_040.pdf

What benefit is there to ramping down? I thought this needed to ramp up to attenuate where it needs to?
Candisyrup recommends wlp565 I'm using wlp568
Thanks

Yeah, I've always understood that you do the opposite if you want some Belgian-y character - start the fermentation low and ramp up over time. For my Belgian Golden Strong, I start at 65 and end up around 80F.

That almost seems like an error. "Slowly" ramping down from 72 to 70 over 4 days is just nonsense. 2degrees per day would be "slowly" ramping.

Ramping down will only help stuff settle to the bottom. With regards to yeast fermentation, it could make the yeast inactive and not finish fermentation (esp with the notorious stalling of the Dupont yeast).

For any saisons, I ramp up. And not slowly either. I usually go from free rise at room temps for the first 24hrs straight into a water bath heated to 90F. I havent got any off flavors from any saison yeast yet using this fermentation schedule

Back