Duotight inline regulator leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summa_Brewologica

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am going to try and explain this the best I can. I lost a whole 20 lb tank of co2 due to a leak in my gas system. I have 4 duo tight inline regulators (white plastic). The way I problem solved this was first to hook up my backup tank and do the soapy water trick. Didn't see any bubbles. I disconnected all the ball locks from the keg and pressurized the system. I put my ear to the tank and sure enough I could hear gas moving. So I know it isn't a keg seal or anything like that.

With the tank on I turned off all inline regulators. This is where I think I have isolated the source. All lines held pressure from the ball lock disconnect to the output of the regulator except for one. I replaced the line, I changed the disconnect and duo tight fitting at the disconnect. I checked the diaphragm in the regulator.

As I am typing this I realized I did not pull the gauge out and try and reseat it. Is keg lube or something recommended for the small rubber parts in these inline regulators? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

EDIT: I think I solved this. I am so afraid of over tightening the fitting that connects to the ball lock that I was too conservative with it and I think it was leaking there. It is holding pressure. I am going to leave it for a little bit and check back. Hopefully that solves it because I have to drive a ways away to get co2. Should have lasted years at the rate I brew.

Last edited:
Bummer about the tank. I've done the same - not tightening enough. I've loved duotight for liquid - I've never had a leak, and if it does leak it's obvious. Gas is sneaky. FWIW, after chasing a few leaks I've reverted to vinyl/barbs for gas.

Bummer about the tank. I've done the same - not tightening enough. I've loved duotight for liquid - I've never had a leak, and if it does leak it's obvious. Gas is sneaky. FWIW, after chasing a few leaks I've reverted to vinyl/barbs for gas.
This is the second duo tight issue I have had and am considering going the vinyl route, down the road. The 20lb tank was bigger and I never heard gas moving. The little 5 lb tank I have for backup makes it easier to hear leaks. I feel like such an idiot that it was something so simple. But I am not sure why it didn't show when I sprayed the connections. Oh well. I take it you tried the duo tight gas route as well? It is just such an affordable way to have independent pressures.

I set up Duotight for gas with closed transfers/spunding because of the ease of it. I considered switching the rest of my gas setup over, but after chasing leaks in setting up my transfers & spund I decided against it. Right now I have everything at the same pressure so that hasn't been a driver for me. I'm sure there are many on here who do it successfully so hopefully they chime in.

I set up Duotight for gas with closed transfers/spunding because of the ease of it. I considered switching the rest of my gas setup over, but after chasing leaks in setting up my transfers & spund I decided against it. Right now I have everything at the same pressure so that hasn't been a driver for me. I'm sure there are many on here who do it successfully so hopefully they chime in.
I know Bobby is a fan. I think, anyway. This is the first leak issue I have had. The other issue was deteriorating fittings due to a heavy starsan mix. Neither of which I can really fault Kegland for. It is user error, really. Now that this is fixed it should be gtg.

I had a duotight gas leak on a line in my kegerator and one joint on my spunding valve. Putting the little blue retaining clips in solved it, so I always use them now and have had no leaks since.

I had a duotight gas leak on a line in my kegerator and one joint on my spunding valve. Putting the little blue retaining clips in solved it, so I always use them now and have had no leaks since.
Is this a duo tight thing or a John Guest thing that works with duo tight? I haven't seen these.

Back