dunkelweizen suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea93

Reaction score
hi!
I'm brewing a dunkelweizen in the next days.
My goal is to obtain a beer in the high range of OG and alcohol content for the style, a high-intensity taste without loosing the good drinkability of this kind of beer. Definitely not a cloying beer.
I will use some ingredients that I have already bought for other beers. Here's my recipe for a 5 gallon brew

Og 1056 ibu 20 srm 14

5.2lb wheat malt (46%)
5.3lb munich malt 10L (47%)
0.7lb caramunich 60L (6%)
2oz chocolate malt (1%)

0.4oz magnum hops 60min

wyeast 3068

my questions are:
-is there too much munich malt? Since it is only a 10L munich malt I decided to use it in a good amount, but I can obviously drop it
-do I need some pils malt to convert starches?
-reading my goal, do you think this is a good recipe?

thank you!

Looks pretty darn good to me. I make a dunkelweizen with almost 50/50 10L Munich and dark wheat so definitely not too much Munich - Munich seems to be what adds this wonderful vanilla-like flavor in the finished beer. It'll convert just fine. Like yours, I add 2 oz of dark stuff (I use dehusked carafa III) I think your recipe looks great.

Personally, I'd cut back the Munich and the Chocolate, but that's really a taste thing. I switched to Midnight Wheat in my recipe because I found the Chocolate was taking over a bit, but once again, a taste issue.

Also, you might want to use rice hulls to help your mash from sticking.

Overall, looks like a good recipe.

:mug:

FWIW, in my opinion: 10L Munich is too dark. 6L would be better if you can get it. I would also say the percentage of wheat is too low. I prefer closer to 60-70%. I would also say German Tettnanger or Hallertau Mittlefruh for the 18-20IBUs If you can get it, red wheat is much better than white/pale wheat. Also debittered black malts would be better than the roast from the chocolate malt.

Back