Dumping uncarbed bottles into kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8string

Reaction score
I have a batch of bottled porter that didn't carbonate, can I dump them into a keg for distribution? Will the oxidation of splishing and splashing from bottle to keg cause any harm? its a Porter I made in December 07. Im just getting started kegging.

I give it try as it doesn't sound like there is much to lose. I guess though I would first put it in a bucket because you could pour more gently and then siphon after that. I can barely get my arm halfway into a keg.

well I made it in december i think, then left it in secondary while I was travelling. After 2-3 months this March, I bottled it. Since I thought the yeast would be mostly cashed out, I rehydreated a muntons packet and split it between the two batches I was bottling at the time as well as the priming sugar. kept it in the warmest place, stays at least 65, but its cold out here. The other beer carbed, but the porter didn't

8string said:
I have a batch of bottled porter that didn't carbonate, can I dump them into a keg for distribution? Will the oxidation of splishing and splashing from bottle to keg cause any harm? its a Porter I made in December 07. Im just getting started kegging.

I wouldn't recommend it have you thought of popping the tops and then dropping a carb drop into the bottle?

Yeah im totally going to do it right now, regardless, I just wanted some imput on the oxidation effects. Was thinking about doing the bottle to bucket to keg transfer too.

RICLARK said:
I wouldn't recommend it have you thought of popping the tops and then dropping a carb drop into the bottle?
Good advice. Thats what I would do. Or (basically the same thing) Id be too cheap to buy the carb tabs and Id just use a measured amount of dextose

RICLARK said:
Ive never considered such a thing!

I really just want to put this beer in a keg since I know it is aged and taste great uncarbonated. It will probably be gone in a few weeks.

8string said:
Ive never considered such a thing!

I really just want to put this beer in a keg since I know it is aged and taste great uncarbonated. It will probably be gone in a few weeks.

well if you are hell bent on kegging it go ahead and do it, Just try not to splash it as much as you can. Maybe you can pour the beers slowly down the side of a fermenting bucket then siphon. You really dont want to splash it.

I did it once, I purged the tank, angled it and poured them in gently. It worked fine, no Ill effects that I could tell.

Yeah, I'm out of beer! The first kegged beer, a pale ale, went faster than I could have imagined. and the 3 that Ive made in the meantime I want to age a little longer. It just proved to me how much I need a "House IPA" to always have on hand! I'll keep the splashing down and I think it will taste fine.

Once I bottled about half a batch and raelized I hadn't added the DME. So I dumped them back in the bottling bucket.

8string said:
Yeah, I'm out of beer! The first kegged beer, a pale ale, went faster than I could have imagined. and the 3 that Ive made in the meantime I want to age a little longer. It just proved to me how much I need a "House IPA" to always have on hand! I'll keep the splashing down and I think it will taste fine.

Once I bottled about half a batch and raelized I hadn't added the DME. So I dumped them back in the bottling bucket.

Your gonna have to start making youself a check list! :D

RICLARK said:
Your gonna have to start making youself a check list! :D
No most of the time I don't even know what recipe im going to do until I decide to start heating the mash water. I have a vague idea, look at my inventory and yeast and start measuring and grinding. I love to fly by the seat of my pants. And I just got a new pair.

Dont know if you have done this or not yet, but if you havent I have a suggestion:

Fill the keg with CO2. Put the lid on and attach the gas, after it tank stops pumping, pull the pressure relief valve for a few seconds, then let it fill again, then release again, then let it fill again and remove the gas. Release enough pressure to take the lid off, then remove the lid and you will have an environment that is nearly oxygen free. Oxygen is going to find it's way in there as you fill, but this will certainly limit the amount of oxygen that gets in the beer and thus limit the oxidation.

You could also try gently shaking the bottles to get some of the yeast up and going and bringing them somewhere to bring the temp up. The only problem i see with dumping them into the keg is that the residual sweetness left by the un fermented priming sugar. i have had a few beers that didn't carbonate and they tasted fine but i couldnt get past the sweetness left from the priming sugar. '

Back