Dump it or Drink it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantherburn

Reaction score
Brewed a traditional bock lager yesterday. I screwed up and forgot to empty the starsan solution out of my fermenter before racking the wort. I would guess it was about 16-20 ounces of starsan solution and a little over 7 gallons of wort. I love my Speidel fermenter, except for it being opaque. I have to think if it was clear I would have caught my mistake, but anyway it is what it is... Mea culpa

Would you dump it or drink it? Will it be harmful? Taste awful? I'm going to contact starsan/five star also, but value the collective wisdom and experience of this forum highly.

BTW, I checked it this morning and it appears to be fermenting normally. Thank you for your help!

I say let it finish. You can always dump it later if it turns out poorly.

With that said, I have left starsan in my fermentors before, but never as much as 16-20 ounces, as you did. I have noticed once or twice that it created a faint, weird chemical taste that disappeared over a few weeks...not sure if you will find the same thing or not, but I have to imagine that a larger quantity of the stuff would create that effect too.

So, my suggestion is, as long as Five Star tells you it's not harmful, I'd let it run its course before thinking about dumping it.

I say let it finish. You can always dump it later if it turns out poorly.

With that said, I have left starsan in my fermentors before, but never as much as 16-20 ounces, as you did. I have noticed once or twice that it created a faint, weird chemical taste that disappeared over a few weeks...not sure if you will find the same thing or not, but I have to imagine that a larger quantity of the stuff would create that effect too.

So, my suggestion is, as long as Five Star tells you it's not harmful, I'd let it run its course before thinking about dumping it.

What that Dude said...

Thanks friends, I appreciate the advice! I'll follow up with what Five Star replies when I hear from them.

Great news! I heard from Five Star today.

"Thank you for contacting Five Star! This amount of Starsan solution will not affect your wort. It will be safe to drink."

I put StarSan in my coffee every morning. It helps grow a more full, luscious mustache. You're good.

I seem to recall a BN show where the founder of FiveStar (Crap, I can't remember his name) has said he has ingested the undiluted stuff with no ill effects. I imagine it's quite safe, but can't speak as to how it will affect the beer's taste. If I had to guess, I'd say any taste detectable early would likely age out over time.

I'd be curious to know how this turns out.

I put StarSan in my coffee every morning. It helps grow a more full, luscious mustache. You're good.

You too?

tumblr_ne4mz8zWBO1qgjvrso2_500.gif

Back