Dumb question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neboscot

Reaction score
So I tasted my first batch of beer (dbl IPA) half way thru a 10 week fermentation. Shouldn't it be pretty well carbonated by now? There was very little carbonation.

I have the corn sugar to use at bottling, but I'm not sure how that helps with carbonation. Isn't the yeast long since dead?

I'm sure I sound like a moron, but any feedback is appreciated.

Wha? 10 week fermentation? Where is the beer now? Primary? Secondary? If it's at FG, bottle it. The carbonation will come from the corn sugar after its been bottled a few weeks. The yeast should be fine for carbonating.

You should be fermenting for about 3-4 weeks and then bottle condition for 3 weeks. Who told you 10 weeks in the fermenter?

Steps:
1. Brew
2. Ferment
3. Carbonate
4. Enjoy

It sounds like you're confusing/combining steps 2&3

Yeast survives post-fermentation and the bottling sugar will carbonate the beer. Make sure your fermentation is done by taking specific gravity readings: when the readings stay constant for several days, you are done. At 5 weeks yours is probably ready to be bottled (most batches are ready within 3 weeks).

Good luck and remember: there are no stupid questions...only stupid answers.

Just re-read your post. If you haven't bottled yet and the beer is 5 weeks into primary, there will be no carbonation. The corn sugar will feed the yeast caught in suspension creating co2 when bottled and carbonated your beer. 10 weeks is a long time to ferment, especially for a double IPA. Have you you taken a gravity reading to see if you've jot your target F.G?

If so, use this calculator to determine how much corn sugar to use for the style when bottling http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Nope, you sound just like me when I first started learning about all this stuff.

Just to be clear, it sounds like you tasted your brew before you bottled it?

And it has been "fermenting" for 5 weeks?

And you are prepared to bottle but haven't bottled it yet?

There should be little carbonation at the end of the fermentation phase because the fermenter is not pressure sealed like a bottle or a keg is pressure sealed. It is this pressure seal that forces the liquid to absorb the carbon dioxide (CO2) (carbonation). During the primary fermentation phase, the CO2 is allowed to escape the vessel because during fermentation, A LOT of CO2 is generated - far more than is required to carbonate the beer.

One of the characteristics of beer that is tweaked to perfection is how carbonated it is. One great way to control the level of carbonation that your end product will have is to *first* allow all of the fermentable sugars to be converted to alcohol and CO2 during fermentation and then *second* add a controlled amount of sugar immediately before bottling in a pressure sealed bottle. By adjusting how much sugar you add, you can fine tune how carbonated your final beer is.

So my guess is that after 5 weeks in the fermenter your yeast has consumed all of the fermentable sugars. Generally, this means that it would now be time to bottle. Because your yeast has already consumed all of the fermentable sugars in your wort, if you were to simply pour that wort into bottles, then it would not carbonate because the yeast would not have any sugar to turn into CO2 (and a tiny bit of alcohol). That is why you must now add some more sugar right before you bottle.

Now comes the issue of the yeast still being alive enough to consume that bottling sugar. Yes, there should still be enough active yeast floating in the liquid to carbonate your beer (unless something really weird happened to it).

Very cool. Thanks for all the responses. Not sure what the 10 weeks was all about. I thought it was excessive too but that's what the recipe called for. I guess I figured the yeast was dead after fermentation so wasn't sure how the bottling sugar helped. I get it now and will bottle soon. Thanks again.

10 weeks does seem excessive but I have left a beer in the fermenter for 9 weeks and it turned out really good and there was little yeast settled in my bottles since most of it settled out in the fermenter. It's nicer to pour a beer when you don't have to leave a bunch in the bottle to keep from getting a lot of suspended yeast in the glass.

Back