Dumb question of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, campden is used to dechlorinate the water for the beer...not for cleaning.

agree, and i think it's because it's two atoms of Na+ bind with the Chlorine? which in starstan would reduce the acidity of the phosphoric acid? producing sodium phosphate?

hey man! ;) i know it's a 'no rinse' sanitizer! but exactly how much are you not 'rinsing'? :mug:
Jeebus, I knew it was a dumb question but...
OK, my thinking is> No rinse, don't fear the foam, RIGHT?
The foam is water + StarSan, RIGHT?
My water has clorine in it,
see where I'm going with this?
Cheers,
Joel B.
Thanks @Sammy86 for the link, if I read that right the answer is that it's OK and not a bad idea. (?)

Cheers,
Joel B.
Thanks @Sammy86 for the link, if I read that right the answer is that it's OK and not a bad idea. (?)

The way i read it it doesn't matter if you do or don't but whatever floats your boat!

+1?

edit: someone else would have to confirm my thoughts on this, but if campden bond's with chlorine it's the sodium in the salt that does it....and if you add campden to starsan, before it bonds with chlorine it'll bond with phosphoric acid? so i don't think it'd help? just a best guess, weigh it accordingly...

Last edited:
Cheers,
Joel B.

So you're concerned about the chlorine in the teaspoon of water that may remain in your vessel after sanitizing it?

"What are safe levels of chlorine in drinking water? Chlorine levels up to 4 milligrams per liter (mg/L or 4 parts per million (ppm)) are considered safe in drinking water . At this level, harmful health effects are unlikely to occur."

from the CDC for tap water....

and i saw somewhere else that the smell/taste threshhold was 1mg/L.....there are 202 teaspoons in a liter, so 0.019 mg's of chlorine in a teaspoon of the water...and in 19 liters of beer, there would be 3,850 teaspoons dilluting it?

i mean i think we would be talking something even smaller then nano grams? and if the threshold is 1mg/L...wouldn't worry too much.....

1657417492335.png

I think that's a pretty great question and one I never even thought of. I have never treated my cleaning or sanitizing water and I haven't noticed any issues but since I drink my tap water I'm probably desensitized to the flavor of my water. All that being said chlorine is fairly unstable and will be undetectable if you leave your water out overnight, I make a gallon of star san at a time and keep it around for about a month so it would only be an issue very fresh.

I think that's a pretty great question and one I never even thought of. I have never treated my cleaning or sanitizing water and I haven't noticed any issues but since I drink my tap water I'm probably desensitized to the flavor of my water. All that being said chlorine is fairly unstable and will be undetectable if you leave your water out overnight, I make a gallon of star san at a time and keep it around for about a month so it would only be an issue very fresh.

i've heard chloramine doesn't gas off? but not every municipality uses it?

I've heard the exact same thing, I don't remember if campden tablets take care of chloramine or if you have to filter it... I don't have chloramine or flouride here thankfully and the chlorine usage is very low too, I rarely smell/ taste it and I was raised on well water so I'm a bit sensitive to chlorine.

I was raised on well water so I'm a bit sensitive to chlorine.

i was raised swiming in a pool with a big round block of chlorine in the bottom of it! ;) :mug: and yes i would rinse with the pool water as a kid for fun!

Last edited:
I've heard the exact same thing, I don't remember if campden tablets take care of chloramine or if you have to filter it... I don't have chloramine or flouride here thankfully and the chlorine usage is very low too, I rarely smell/ taste it and I was raised on well water so I'm a bit sensitive to chlorine.

Campden will take care of chloramines for you. You can filter them out, but it's tougher to do than filter chlorine.

I can't imagine the amount of either in any typical tap water will cause an issue if you add a tsp of tap water to a 5 gallon batch. That's just an incredibly tiny amount.

hey man! ;) i know it's a 'no rinse' sanitizer! but exactly how much are you not 'rinsing'? :mug:
Good point. If it matters how dechlorinated the Star San is, you're probably doing it wrong. Not a dumb question, but I think that's a valid answer.

Not chlorine related, but I've noticed some particles of something probably not good precipitate to the bottom of my Star San bucket. (Little black specks) I do worry about that getting into my beer.

i just had a thought...to tell for your taste, buy 5 gallons of distilled water....rinse a bucket with tap water starsan, put the distilled water in it and report back on results?

A long time member trying to be helpful and not snarky? So crazy it just might work. That's why you're a prince among men.

Edit: I seriously want to see the results of your experiment too.

A long time member

before you go thinking i'm good at brewing or something....this a clip of a typical day for me here...

1657427386348.png

i do brew, i do malt my own so i know i can't be stopped from doing it..but really i just like the comaradery, and no that's not inuendo about facebook links! ;)

Hey every body, Did you read the thread title? "Dumb question of the day". It was really more of a joke than any thing. If you watched my brew day (only a couple of hours actually cuz I cheat and brew with extract) and thought I was worrying about the thimble worth of foamy StarSan water residue,,,
I'm sorry.😒
I should have put it Drunk'n Ramblings thread I guess. Better yet I'll just keep these stupid questions to my self from now on. If I do ever ask another one I'll be sure to put a big'ol' disclaimer on it. It was just something that popped into my head when i was tossing a beer together today. Silly me.
Anyway, thanks for the replies some were interesting and somewhat informative.
And now back to the regularly scheduled train wreck.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

If you watched my brew day

wait there was video footage?
Better yet I'll just keep these stupid questions to my self from now on.

wait i wanted to start comparing the atomic weight of an atom of chlorine, or chloramine... vs the mol weight of water which if 14g/mol? i was just trying to have some fun with chemistry...taste threshholds.....based on this?

And your reasoning is ...

i mean if chlorine has an atomic mass of 35....and water has a 'molecular' mass of only 14 per molecule, then like at 4mg a liter of heavly chlorinated tap water...

we're homebrewers and should be able to figure out exactly how many 'atoms' of chlorine would be in the residue? we all have milligram scales already for water salts right?

🥰
🤔:bigmug:

Latest posts

Back