Dumb Noob question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Requiemm

Reaction score
If I'm kegging my results from my Norther Brewer kit, I don't need to worry about the priming sugar, right?

you can use the priming sugar in the keg if you're going to let the keg sit out for a while, but otherwise, no reason. if i have a pipeline going, i'll sometimes boil up the priming sugar, dump it in, and seal the lid with co2. the keg will be carbonated and ready within a few days naturally

You can do either priming sugar and just let the keg sit in a warm spot *not connected to CO2*, or you can omit the priming sugar and force-carbonate by hooking the keg up to CO2 at your desired pressure (~10psi) and waiting. Force-carbonating works best when the keg is cold although it's not strictly a requirement (though the pressure you use would change if it's not cold).

Do not use both methods, that would lead to over carbonation and/or a lot of residual sugar left in the beer.

I think most people who keg will force carbonate since it's a little more idiot-proof (don't have to measure or mix anything), but there are definitely some home brewers who self-carb in a keg and also some craft breweries. There may or may not be a difference in the taste & carbonation between force-carbed and priming sugar carved. One advantage of priming sugar for a keg is that you don't need to have space in the fridge or an extra CO2 hookup, so if you have a bunch of kegs "on deck" you can add the priming sugar and leave them in a warm spot for a few weeks.

Thanks everyone, I thought I had the right idea. I like the thought of priming kegs to be on stand by. Guess I'll need to buy more kegs... oh darn.

Latest posts

Back