Dual temperature controller question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I use a dual temperature controller on my chest freezer. So my question do I need to use both cooling an heating to combat the residual cooling cause by the freezer. Like for example let say I want to fermenter my beer at 65f now I know I set my controller to 65f on the cooling side but if it’s needed what should I set the heating to so it does not cause ping pong effect meaning where the cooling/heating are causing my freezer to run non stop.

Usually you just set one temperature, and a range value(often preset by the controller).

So you set 65F and 1F for the range. It will cool down to 66 or heat up to 64. That gives some leeway for overshoot, keeps your wort at 65 +/- 1. The controller should never he heating and cooling a the same time.

What controller are you using?

Kind of depends on the ambient temperature the freezer is in. If it's in you house, you probably won't need a heat source. I keep mine in the garage were ambient temperature can get low, so in the winter I have a ceramic heat emitter.

Hello I use a dual temperature controller on my chest freezer. So my question do I need to use both cooling an heating to combat the residual cooling cause by the freezer. Like for example let say I want to fermenter my beer at 65f now I know I set my controller to 65f on the cooling side but if it’s needed what should I set the heating to so it does not cause ping pong effect meaning where the cooling/heating are causing my freezer to run non stop.

Set your controller for the temperature you want for fermentation, insulate the probe so it doesn't see the freezer temperature, and close the freezer door. On the initial cooling the freezer might overshoot by a little bit but it will quickly level out. You're overthinking the whole problem.

Back