Drying yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirsty4cider

Reaction score
Is there a way to preserve the yeast cake after brewing by drying it or something? the reason I ask this is if i made a cider using wild yeast off the skin of an apple and it made an incredible flavor would i be able to dry it and keep in an airtight container? thanks.

Thirsty out.

You don't have to dry it out, just save the yeast in something like an air-tight mason jar and put it in the fridge or freezer. You want to save the yeastiest layer, not the alcohol on top or the dark trub at the bottom. That middle yeasty layer. Transfer as needed, from mason jar to mason jar, to get just the good layer.

I tried saving it in a small container a while ago and took a whiff recently and it was horrible! definitely not yeast. how many times should I transfer it from jar to jar?

If you freeze it you will need to add 25% glycerin to keep the water crystals from killing the yeast. What you smelled in the jar may have be autolysis. If the jar is sterile there is no reason you shouldn't be able to store it for 6 months in the fridge.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/yeast-storage.html

If you want to go the drying route then search for "filter paper drying yeast"

I tried saving it in a small container a while ago and took a whiff recently and it was horrible! definitely not yeast. how many times should I transfer it from jar to jar?

I just keep moving it until I've got only the goodie layer. 2-3 times.

Latest posts

Back