Drying Kveik. Fast and Easy method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to give this a try. I just picked up a pack of Voss today.

Is it dry or liquid? Remember, under pitching is the general rule of thumb with the kveik strains, though it may not be that important with Voss, at least in my experience, Voss ferments quite clean. Under pitching brings out the esters that the kveik strains may have to offer

Last edited:
Is it dry or liquid? Remember, under pitching is the general rule of thumb with the kveik strains, though it may not be that important with Voss, at least in my experience, Voss ferments quite clean. Under pitching brings out the esters that the kveik strains may have to offer
Never used Voss. I have used Hornindal.
Will be making a starter either today or tomorrow as I am planning to brew next friday.

Reviving this. I've never played around with Kveik yeast yet. My LHBS is carrying a couple different Omega Kveik strains and I'm thinking about getting some Voss. Some questions:

I'm interested in making a starter (I have a 2000 ml flask), but wondering do you build a Kveik starter any different than any other yeast starter?

I'd like to separate the slurry into small sterilized mason jars and keep them in the fridge. Does it matter what size mason jar? I hear it's such a beast, will it continue to multiply in the jars, or at fridge temps does it "hibernate?"

If using the slurry in a pale ale or ipa that I'm not interested in bring out fruity esters, (looking for neutral), how much slurry would be recommended in a 5 gallon (6 gallons in the fermenter) batch? I'd still like to try to ferment warmer though, hopefully start around 95° using a blanket and sleeping bag as insulation.

Any other tips or suggestions welcome.

Reviving this. I've never played around with Kveik yeast yet. My LHBS is carrying a couple different Omega Kveik strains and I'm thinking about getting some Voss. Some questions:

I'm interested in making a starter (I have a 2000 ml flask), but wondering do you build a Kveik starter any different than any other yeast starter?

I'd like to separate the slurry into small sterilized mason jars and keep them in the fridge. Does it matter what size mason jar? I hear it's such a beast, will it continue to multiply in the jars, or at fridge temps does it "hibernate?"

If using the slurry in a pale ale or ipa that I'm not interested in bring out fruity esters, (looking for neutral), how much slurry would be recommended in a 5 gallon (6 gallons in the fermenter) batch? I'd still like to try to ferment warmer though, hopefully start around 95° using a blanket and sleeping bag as insulation.

Any other tips or suggestions welcome.
If your not going to dry it. I suggest making a huge over built starter and then decanting it off after letting it sit cold for about a week in the fridge. Then keep the pure yeast in mason jar and use a tablespoon per batch. That’s what I do

Last edited:
Does it matter what size mason jar? I hear it's such a beast, will it continue to multiply in the jars, or at fridge temps does it "hibernate?"

If using the slurry in a pale ale or ipa that I'm not interested in bring out fruity esters, (looking for neutral), how much slurry would be recommended in a 5 gallon (6 gallons in the fermenter) batch?
I don't have Voss yet, but I have Aurland, Oslo and Aurora slurry in my fridge now and haven't had any issue with pressure building. In the few batches I've done, I just pitched a teaspoon of slurry but a small study by Escarpment Labs shows that more generally produces less esters.
f65509_efd7715d6a484ad9aba255f267b0a175~mv2.webp

do you build a Kveik starter any different than any other yeast starter?
Be sure to add a generous amount of a good yeast nutrient.
The drying method I described is really easy. ;)

Just guessing but I would target 1.25-1.5M/mL/°P for a more neutral character. Frankly though I wouldn't use this strain for a neutral ester profile; I get lots of flavor from it.

If your not going to dry it. I suggest making a huge over built starter and then decanting it off after letting it sit cold for about a week in the fridge. Then keep the pure yeast in mason jar and use a tablespoon per batch. That’s what I do
Question - is an "over built" starter the same as step up starter? If not, how are they different?

Question - is an "over built" starter the same as step up starter? If not, how are they different?
Kinda the same idea and they can be used the same to up the cell count. An over built started would be upping the starter volume and even the gravity to grow more yeast than you would need for the beer you did the starter for. You’d pitch what you need and save all the extra yeast for future use.

Last edited:
Kinda the same idea and they can be used the same to up the cell count. An over built started would be upping the starter volume and even the gravity to grow more yeast than you would need for the beer you did the starter for. You’d pitch what you need and all the extra yeast for future use.
OK, so they''re just slightly different ways to get to the same, or close to the same result. Thanks!

I checked my oven and just with the light on it hits 24°C, I know people usually dries it at 30°C but can I dry it at 24? I guess it will take me a bit more

Resurrection: Just dried Several batches worth of Kveik, Opshaug, Hornidal, Lutra, Loki and Voss in my dehydrator. Now I just need to experiment enough to see what each has to offer. I've brewed at least one beer with each at this point, but want to brew something similar and mild with each so I can taste the differences. :mug:

Latest posts

Back