Dryhopping advice - what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Brewed up Lakewalk Pale Ale on Friday, 11/13 (if superstitious, you should probably stop reading :)). Day 4 of primary almost complete with a big slowdown in airlock activity (a somewhat subjective measure, I know). Heading out of town for a week on Monday, 11/23 (day 10). Have some dryhopping to do still. After reading some of the latest on dryhopping, I think I have several options. Would you:

1) dryhop starting soon (day5 or 6) for a short period (til day 9), then remove and let sit till I get home after Turkey Day?

2) dryhop on day 10 just prior to leaving for a longer period (til day 17)

3) dryhop after coming home on day 17 and have to wait that much longer for my delicious beer :D

My assumption is that fermentation really will be done in pretty short order (next day or three). I can verify of course, but based on experience, OG, yeast (US-05), etc I feel pretty good about this. Some of the latest I've read on dryhopping suggests that starting it during the last portion of primary fermentation and leaving only for a few days actually yields great results. Or I could be just trying to rush things.:rolleyes:

I personally prefer not to dry hop longer than 5 days. Unless I am doing it right in the keg; then there is no limit.

Yeah, 5 days is good. too much more and you run the risk of getting "grassy" and vegi flavors from the hops.

I would just wait and dry hop when you get back. Murphy will get you for rushing things...
Thanks for the feedback everybody. This was the original plan and I'll probably stick with it then. That darn Murphy guy...

I'd go with #2. I use pellets, and 7 days wouldn't give me any off-flavours.

If people keg hop i dont understand why dry-hopping extended would be bad? Is it the temp?
Seems way to go is dry hop then dry hop again then keg hop and then call me over to taste

Back