Dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
How long will dry yeast last outside of the fridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quite a while I suspect. Some kits come with the yeast in them, and they are just sitting on the shelf. I keep all my yeast in the fridge but my LHBS doesn't refridgerate their dry yeast and I've never had a problem with the purchases I've made from them. So back to your question....we talking years or days/weeks?

I got about three packs that came with some kits but I replaced them with liquid. They're probably around 6 months old or so

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd be a little leary of them for sure. Many don't use the yeast that comes with the kits either. Especially the ones taped to the can of LME. If your even a little suspect of them, I'd just chuck them. Better safe than sorry. Would suck to waste a lot of money on a batch of beer to have it turn out subpar because of a couple dollar pack of yeast.

Dry yeast should lose only about 4% viability per month if unrefrigerated, and 4% per year if refrigerated. That said, I agree with Hammy that if it's the cheap packets that come with most kits and not something from one of the big guys like Danstar or Fermentis, toss it and don't think twice.

Latest posts

Back