Dry yeast with a Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have never made, nor for that matter tasted a Kölsch, but am dyeing to try one for some reason. I am a bit concerned about how the yeast will be in transit through all this heat to get to me if I use liquid and the LHBS will be out for ten more days. Is there a dry yeast that will give me a good, authentic, and great tasting Kölsch? I've never used dry either and want to experiment with it, but getting good Kölsch at this point is the #1 priority. If not I will try to find a style to suit the dry and pray the liquid gets here without being baked.

Morebeer sells safale 05 with some of their kolsch kits. This key is to ferment it somewhere between 60 and 65. 62 being ideal. The only issue Ive been noticing is that the dry yeasts don't seem to floc out as well. Adding gelatin solves that problem though and kolsch is supposed to be clear anyway.

Just checked Brewing Classic Styles and Jamil actually recommends Safale-05. It will taste yeasty if you don't use gelatin or at least crash cool.

I would only use S-05 if you can't get real Kolsch yeast. I had it shipped to me in the heat with an ice pack and it was fine. Just make a starter (you should anyway) and I don't think you'll have a problem.

BTW, Kolsch can be extremely delicious. There is a local brewery here that has a beer called Kolsner, which is a pilsner brewed with kolsch yeast and it is wonderful. Probably my favorite summer time beer.

Is there a dry yeast that will give me a good, authentic, and great tasting Kölsch?

Good, yes, authentic, no. As previously mentioned the 05 would also be my recommendation and you should get a very good beer from it. The thing about Kolsch is, however, that the true Kolsch yeast strains do produce specific flavor notes that will not be present with a generic ale yeast. :mug:

I've made a "Kolsch" with dry yeast (Safale 05), and it was pretty damn good. I guess it's really a blonde ale with noble hops, but whatever.

Using an appropriate yeast is probably best, though in Europe I don't think it's "authentic" unless you brew in Cologne. So, if anyone gives you a hard time, just tell them their blonde ale was brewed in the wrong geographical region to be called a Kolsch. ;)

I just brewed one with the S-05 strain. Haven't tried it yet through. I did use the Wyeast smack pack for my first one and everyone loved that one. Nothing like using the right strain, but experimentation is also good.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back