Dry yeast substitute for WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen conflicting info online. I'm seen S04 mentioned, but that it might give more "English" character and S05 would be too clean and not give enough. I've seen someone mention Nottingham and the specs kind of match up and someone said it was equivalent to WLP039, which is a dry British yeast. Thoughts?

It depends on what you are going for. What kind of beer you are brewing.

I've use s-04 in many brews and by fermenting it cooler (64-65f) it ferments pretty clean. Almost as clean as us-05.

I've used it for a 12% abv barley wine and a 4% english bitter and always had good results.

I have heard that if you push it too cool (sub 62f) it get cidery and tart but I've not had that happen personally.

It's Whitbread-B and the dry equivalent is S-04 . In dry form it goes from reasonably clean when fermented low (16-17C), to bready (18-19C), to its signature fruity/tart flavour as you approach 21C or so (maybe 70F I guess) . It's a lactic acid producer which is why people complain about its tartness, although that is its signature so I wouldn't use it if you don't want the chance of a lactic tang that can jar with some beers.

Nottingham is clean and attenuates well, but if you ferment too warm then it gets a bit nasty. One thing you could do is mix Windsor and Nottingham 50/50 and you'll end up with more interesting yeast flavour that attenuates well and quickly. Although it'll taste quite different from wpl007

It's Whitbread-B and the dry equivalent is S-04 . In dry form it goes from reasonably clean when fermented low (16-17C), to bready (18-19C), to its signature fruity/tart flavour as you approach 21C or so (maybe 70F I guess) . It's a lactic acid producer which is why people complain about its tartness, although that is its signature so I wouldn't use it if you don't want the chance of a lactic tang that can jar with some beers.

Nottingham is clean and attenuates well, but if you ferment too warm then it gets a bit nasty. One thing you could do is mix Windsor and Nottingham 50/50 and you'll end up with more interesting yeast flavour that attenuates well and quickly. Although it'll taste quite different from wpl007
Great info. Thanks!

I have used s-04 specifically for a Surly Bender clone in the past with great results.
Awesome! I think I'll go with that then, but keep it a bit cooler.

Back