Dry yeast production labs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvw

Reaction score
There is a number of dried yeast brands on the market. The biggest ones are of course Fermentis and Lallemand/Danstar. Then there are the smaller ones: Mangrove Jack's, Brewferm, Coopers, Muntons, Mauribrew and probably a few more.

Now those "small guys" don't produce their own dry yeast but instead repack dry yeast sourced from other production labs and selling it under their own brand name (presumably under license to avoid litigation). Mangrove Jack's (NZ), Bulldog Brewing (UK) and Morgan's (AU) are all examples that I'm pretty much sure of.

And it makes sense: the production of dry brewing yeast is not trivial: selecting a strain that will stand up well to drying, then freeze-drying it under low ambient pressure and temperature and packing it all under sterile conditions is a specialized job calling for a specialized production lab. I know of two yeast production labs that do this: Fermentis and Lallemand.

But are there other producers of dry brewing yeast in the world than these two? There are other producers of wine and baking yeast who might conceivably add a brewing yeast to their range which they then sell wholesale on an OEM basis.

Does anyone know of such brewing yeast producers?

There is a number of dried yeast brands on the market. The biggest ones are of course Fermentis and Lallemand/Danstar. Then there are the smaller ones: Mangrove Jack's, Brewferm, Coopers, Muntons, Mauribrew and probably a few more.

Now those "small guys" don't produce their own dry yeast but instead repack dry yeast sourced from other production labs and selling it under their own brand name (presumably under license to avoid litigation). Mangrove Jack's (NZ), Bulldog Brewing (UK) and Morgan's (AU) are all examples that I'm pretty much sure of.

And it makes sense: the production of dry brewing yeast is not trivial: selecting a strain that will stand up well to drying, then freeze-drying it under low ambient pressure and temperature and packing it all under sterile conditions is a specialized job calling for a specialized production lab. I know of two yeast production labs that do this: Fermentis and Lallemand.

But are there other producers of dry brewing yeast in the world than these two? There are other producers of wine and baking yeast who might conceivably add a brewing yeast to their range which they then sell wholesale on an OEM basis.

Does anyone know of such brewing yeast producers?
I asked myself the same question. No idea about the answer.

Back