Dry yeast in the freezer, will it still work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
I goofed and accidentally threw all of my unused supplies in the freezer, including a packet of dry ale yeast. It has been in there about 18 days. Is it still usable?

I have a stuck fermentation, and now I realized I froze my backup packet.

Can I save it?

Thanks again,
Beehive

Because there is so little moisture in them I doubt freezing would destroy the cell walls.

Let it warm to room temperature for a few hours, then rehydrate properly and if they appear to wake up I would go ahead and pitch. If you want to be really safe you could add a small amount of sugar and see there is any action.

The flip side being, dry yeast is really cheap, if you have a LHBS why even risk it? Just buy more.

I agree with bradsul. The yeast might be OK because it is dry. If you can't get to the store to buy more, try making a starter with it and make sure it is viable.

It better be OK as I keep all my dry yeast in my freezer and it is too late to tell me that all the beer that I have brewed using this frozen yeast is no good AFTER I have drank all those kegs of beer.
Well I haven't drank it all. There are still some kegs left.

I'm pretty sure some guys here maintain frozen yeast banks from liquid cultures...so I'm sure that dry sachet is just peachy.

Latest posts

Back