Dry yeast-first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
I've got a full sachet of safale us-05 from work. I'm brewing today and want to use it. I usually use liquid yeast, and am not sure how much I should pitch. Beers Gravity is 1.055.
Can anyone tell me the yeast to gravity ratio of safale us-05?

dump it in your beer. dump it in 80-100 degree tap water for 30 minutse first if you want to be super fancy schmancy

Dry yeast is 20 billion cells per gram. If you rehydrate by the manufacturers instructions you'll probably be near 90% viability. If you don't you'll be closer to 75%, and I've seen as low as 50%. (Based on Methane Blue viability staining)

I ended up pitching a gram of rehydrated yeast. The sachet I got was 500 grams. This sachet will last me for f.u.cking ever.

Wait, so I should pitch another 9
Grams or so...is this correct?

Did you mean 200 billion cells?

I have a giant package, I just need to know how much to pitch.

I would keep your giant package away from the beer.... :off:

Ah hum, I mean try about 20g.

10g would work but, as would 30g, but I'm gonna stick with 20g.

EDIT- this is based on a 5gal batch and their usual packages being 11.5g and people saying use 2

Last edited:
Haha, the package says 50-80 grams per hl.
As far as I know 17 hl=15 bbl. So 480 gallons of wort should take 80 grams of yeast. Therefore 5 gallons of wort should take .83 grams?
I'm not sure where I'm messing up here...

How many gallons? A small packet of 11.5 grams is for 5 gallon batches so that should help you decide how much. S-05 is a great yeast

10-20g and you will be fine provided its the same yeast as what comes in their little packs and the viability is good.

How much have you pitched now?

I'm at 16 grams now. Pitched one earlier (2 hours ago) read your post and hydrated another 15 grams.

Just don't ferment it less than 65. Used it for the first time not too long ago on a blonde recipe, at around 62 deg (beer temp, not ambient), and it's got a not so pleasant chemically-peachy flavor that won't go away. 65-67, from what I've read since then, should lead to a cleaner flavor with this strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just don't ferment it less than 65. Used it for the first time not too long ago on a blonde recipe, at around 62 deg (beer temp, not ambient), and it's got a not so pleasant chemically-peachy flavor that won't go away. 65-67, from what I've read since then, should lead to a cleaner flavor with this strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got worried about this for a sec then remembered im not even fermenting ale at the moment. Its been one of those mondays....

Latest posts

Back