Dry saison yeast (or best option) and any recommended recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I think my next brew will be a saison but I can only use dry yeast (shipping issues). Is there a dry saison yeast? Looking around it appears the answer is no and if so, would I be OK using Safbrew T-58 or is there a better option?

While I'm pasting, if anyone has a great dry extract saison recipe they can recommend then please do

I'm a pretty big Belgian beer fan. I only used T-58 once to see if it would be a more cost effective option over liquid Belgian yeasts and was disappointed. T-58 has a similar profile to 3944 but with much more subtly. Saison yeast is really unparalleled. You will have a really hard time getting close to the "farmhouse funk" flavors/aromas without a true saison yeast.

I agree a Saison is pretty much about the yeast, so using the proper yeast is key to getting the right flavor.

You could culture off some dregs. I think it's possible to raise a culture from Saison duPont. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Depends in the kind of saison you're after. If it's dupont then you'll be stuck with liquid. Pesonally I think 3711 tastes like a generic Belgian strain so t58 would probably work. De ranke also uses dry yeast and it's rumored to be t58. Develop a recipe that's good and dry and maybe add some spice like pepper and you'll get close. Or better yet buy some saisons and culture the yeast yourself.

Lazy Saison - 5 gal
Pilsen DME (used ultra light dme in a pinch)
Some cane sugar to dry it out.
1.x ounce EKG to bitter
0.x ounce EKG for flavor @ 5 min (you pick the value of x based on your needs)
Shoot for an OG between 1.050 to 1.060
IBU around 25 to 30 depending on taste

Pitch some yeast and see what happens? I've done an all grain and extract of this and its a good base to showcase a saison yeast.

Back